The Student Room Group

Y9 - helpppp

What should i be doing just before year 9 , and i start early entry soon
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
What should i be doing just before year 9 , and i start early entry soon

Hi! :smile: It’s been a while since I was last in year 9 but I would say that unless if you’ve found the content in year 8 too difficult to keep up with, there is no need to put too much pressure on yourself before heading into year 9. :h: What you should do really depends on whether you’ll be doing your last year of KS3 or starting your GCSEs. I started my GCSEs in year 10 so assuming this is also the case for you, I would say if you really want to get a head start then it’s more about taking a look through your different subjects and knowing where any gaps in your knowledge are. After this, you can either try to look these up online, go through your notes/classwork, or have questions ready to ask as the school year starts. This will give a good impression to your teachers and is also a great thing to practice doing before your GCSEs and any other further education you may do.

If you want to chat through specific subjects or describe your how you’re finding them a bit more then you can always feel free to PM me or continue chatting here. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Matrix123
Hi! :smile: It’s been a while since I was last in year 9 but I would say that unless if you’ve found the content in year 8 too difficult to keep up with, there is no need to put too much pressure on yourself before heading into year 9. :h: What you should do really depends on whether you’ll be doing your last year of KS3 or starting your GCSEs. I started my GCSEs in year 10 so assuming this is also the case for you, I would say if you really want to get a head start then it’s more about taking a look through your different subjects and knowing where any gaps in your knowledge are. After this, you can either try to look these up online, go through your notes/classwork, or have questions ready to ask as the school year starts. This will give a good impression to your teachers and is also a great thing to practice doing before your GCSEs and any other further education you may do.

If you want to chat through specific subjects or describe your how you’re finding them a bit more then you can always feel free to PM me or continue chatting here. :smile:

I do my gcses in end of year 9/very start of y10 , that is early entry x
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I do my gcses in end of year 9/very start of y10 , that is early entry x

Oh, I see! :gasp:
In that case, I would say my previous advice definitely holds! I'm a very visual learner so I found it very helpful having mind maps for most subjects and having colour coded notes. Nearly all of my friends preferred using flash cards.
Past papers are very important, especially repeating papers or specific questions you did wrong and seeing if you can get a perfect or almost perfect answer. It's easy marking a paper and thinking you'd be able to give that answer in future so this is a nice way to test that!
May I ask what subjects you're taking and which ones will be taken at the end of year 9? If you're taking any languages, I would recommend listening to some of your favourite songs in the language but with English subtitles. That helped me to gauge the context of some texts from words I recognised from doing this.
For maths, I would say that practice is really key! Lots of questions and past papers should do the trick.
With English, really know your texts inside out and do a lot of research into interpretations and connotations. I remember I found Mr Bruff's YouTube channel very helpful with getting some extra insight into the exams with his predictions and his videos are very clear and entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/@mrbruff
Reply 4
Original post by Matrix123
Oh, I see! :gasp:
In that case, I would say my previous advice definitely holds! I'm a very visual learner so I found it very helpful having mind maps for most subjects and having colour coded notes. Nearly all of my friends preferred using flash cards.
Past papers are very important, especially repeating papers or specific questions you did wrong and seeing if you can get a perfect or almost perfect answer. It's easy marking a paper and thinking you'd be able to give that answer in future so this is a nice way to test that!
May I ask what subjects you're taking and which ones will be taken at the end of year 9? If you're taking any languages, I would recommend listening to some of your favourite songs in the language but with English subtitles. That helped me to gauge the context of some texts from words I recognised from doing this.
For maths, I would say that practice is really key! Lots of questions and past papers should do the trick.
With English, really know your texts inside out and do a lot of research into interpretations and connotations. I remember I found Mr Bruff's YouTube channel very helpful with getting some extra insight into the exams with his predictions and his videos are very clear and entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/@MrBruff

we can only do 1 subject as early entry tho ! i chose history but tysm
Reply 5
Eduqas Route B RS

Someone please help me , my school does the eduqas route b for religious studies , absoluetly no guides i need an A star please guide me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending