The Student Room Group

Taking GCSEs a year early

Hi, I’ve just started year 10 and I’m taking three of my GCSEs a year early (maths, physics, and statistics)
As I will have to teach myself a lot of the curriculum I was wondering if anyone had any advice or learning resources that they found helpful?
Also any advice on time management would be great as I take art GCSE which is a lot of work
Reply 1
Original post by Kat4172
Hi, I’ve just started year 10 and I’m taking three of my GCSEs a year early (maths, physics, and statistics)
As I will have to teach myself a lot of the curriculum I was wondering if anyone had any advice or learning resources that they found helpful?
Also any advice on time management would be great as I take art GCSE which is a lot of work

Why are you taking them early? Universites like to see them all taken together.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you taking them early? Universites like to see them all taken together.

Im taking them early because I plan on taking 11 different subjects, which I wouldn’t be able to do at my school all in year 11
Reply 3
Original post by Kat4172
Im taking them early because I plan on taking 11 different subjects, which I wouldn’t be able to do at my school all in year 11

Most people do 11 GCSEs altogether in Year 11 ... why can't your school do this?
Reply 4
Most people do 11 GCSEs altogether in Year 11 ... why can't your school do this?

Do they? Most people I know take 9 GCSEs.. why is it that universities like to see them taken in one year? Do you think it’s a mistake to take them early?
Reply 5
Original post by Kat4172
Do they? Most people I know take 9 GCSEs.. why is it that universities like to see them taken in one year? Do you think it’s a mistake to take them early?

Yes - a huge mistake - you need to get 9s. SO are you doing extra ones compared to other people in your school? If so, why?
Reply 6
Yes - a huge mistake - you need to get 9s. SO are you doing extra ones compared to other people in your school? If so, why?

I’m taking statistics and further maths on top of my other GCSEs because my school doesn’t offer them as GCSE options and I feel they would be beneficial to me as I am looking to go into a career in physics. Also I will be applying for a scholarship for sixth form where I would be taking double maths and I feel that these subjects would help me a lot
Reply 7
Original post by Kat4172
I’m taking statistics and further maths on top of my other GCSEs because my school doesn’t offer them as GCSE options and I feel they would be beneficial to me as I am looking to go into a career in physics. Also I will be applying for a scholarship for sixth form where I would be taking double maths and I feel that these subjects would help me a lot

They won't help you - I teach Maths and honestly stats is a waste of time. We don't do level 2 FMaths either - we focus on GCSE and getting 9s and preparing students or A level by lots of extension work. You do know there's topics in level 2 FMaths that aren't in A level don't you? We get amazing A level results in Maths and FMaths with students getting into Oxbridge ...

It's far more important to get 9 grade 9s than to do more GCSEs.
Reply 8
They won't help you - I teach Maths and honestly stats is a waste of time. We don't do level 2 FMaths either - we focus on GCSE and getting 9s and preparing students or A level by lots of extension work. You do know there's topics in level 2 FMaths that aren't in A level don't you? We get amazing A level results in Maths and FMaths with students getting into Oxbridge ...

It's far more important to get 9 grade 9s than to do more GCSEs.

I’ve heard similar things about stats, but my maths and science teachers think it’s useful in a science career. Would you mind explaining why it is that you think it’s a waste of time? As for FMaths, I understand what you’re saying but the sixth form I’m looking to apply to says that a FMaths gcse is required if you want to take FMaths a-level, which I definitely do. What do you suggest I do?
Reply 9
Original post by Kat4172
I’ve heard similar things about stats, but my maths and science teachers think it’s useful in a science career. Would you mind explaining why it is that you think it’s a waste of time? As for FMaths, I understand what you’re saying but the sixth form I’m looking to apply to says that a FMaths gcse is required if you want to take FMaths a-level, which I definitely do. What do you suggest I do?

Stats GCSE doesn't offer much and all the stats that is useful is in A level anyway.

What sort of school requires level 2 FMaths for A level when lots of schools don;t offer it - is this a fee-paying school? Honestly it really isn't needed for FMaths and I'd look at other schools.
Reply 10
Stats GCSE doesn't offer much and all the stats that is useful is in A level anyway.

What sort of school requires level 2 FMaths for A level when lots of schools don;t offer it - is this a fee-paying school? Honestly it really isn't needed for FMaths and I'd look at other schools.

It is a fee-paying school, so I would be looking to get a scholarship. I also thought that taking some GCSEs early might help me in achieving the scholarship as I would be able to show them my results when applying. Do you think this is the case? Or would they also like to see me take my GCSEs at one time?
Original post by Kat4172
It is a fee-paying school, so I would be looking to get a scholarship. I also thought that taking some GCSEs early might help me in achieving the scholarship as I would be able to show them my results when applying. Do you think this is the case? Or would they also like to see me take my GCSEs at one time?

Why do you want to go to a fee-paying school for A levels when unis are taking fewer students from them?
Reply 12
Why do you want to go to a fee-paying school for A levels when unis are taking fewer students from them?

I’ve done a lot of research on this school and its courses and i feel that i could learn very well there. I know that universities are taking less people from fee-paying schools but I have been in state schools my whole life and would be going there on an 120% scholarship specially aimed at people with disadvantages such as disabilities and people with free school meals etc. I would have thought that universities would account for this when accepting people, and this school does have an exceptionally good record of getting students into oxbridge and russell group universities
Original post by Kat4172
I’ve done a lot of research on this school and its courses and i feel that i could learn very well there. I know that universities are taking less people from fee-paying schools but I have been in state schools my whole life and would be going there on an 120% scholarship specially aimed at people with disadvantages such as disabilities and people with free school meals etc. I would have thought that universities would account for this when accepting people, and this school does have an exceptionally good record of getting students into oxbridge and russell group universities

Yes but your A levels will be judged against others from that school. Oxbrudge don't give contextual offers ...

RG unis are not always the best - places like Bath are better than many of them.

Reply 15
Yes but your A levels will be judged against others from that school. Oxbrudge don't give contextual offers ...

RG unis are not always the best - places like Bath are better than many of them.

I see what you mean - thank you so much for your time, I’ll take everything you’ve said into consideration. Have a good night

Quick Reply

Latest