The Student Room Group

Need Graduate Entry Medicine advice!!!

Hi all

I graduated university last year with a first class honours in BSc Forensic science and swiftly realised that what I actually want to do - forensic pathology - requires a medical degree. I've been looking to applying to a graduate entry medicine degree (mainly because I won't be able to afford the full 5/6 year course) because it is more achievable with costs.

There are some issues however - firstly, I'd need to save up more money working my current minimum wage job and I don't know if I'll have enough to start 2024. I'm also very confused on eligibility to some student loans as well - the sites I've been looking at says you'd have to pay approx £3k to the uni directly and the rest with a non-means tested loan for year 1, but it doesn't make it clear the eligibility for that.

Secondly, my A levels weren't the best. I got an A in bio but a C in maths and chem. I'd want to retake my chem exam but it has been like 5 years since I did my A levels and I don't know if that'd affect my chances, despite me having a first class degree as well.

I'm looking to apply to Cambridge purely for location reasons - I wouldn't get maintenance loan and I can't afford to move, and obviously I know Cambridge is super competitive and I'm concerned my A levels are going to be an issue.

Just very overwhelmed and confused by it all so any advice welcome! tyia!!
From the Cambridge website, it does sound as though you would need to re-sit chemistry ("Applicants must have A Level Chemistry (normally passed at grade A or above within seven years of entry) and one of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics (at A or AS level)"). However, you may need to email the university directly to see if they would accept a re-sit.

To be honest with you, I think you'll struggle applying only to Cambridge. Undergraduate medicine applicants apply to four unis and the majority still don't receive an offer first time, and GEM is even more competitive. I understand that you're financially and geographically limited, but I think it's worth bearing in mind.

You're right when you say that you would need to pay around £3000 out of pocket for first year; however, I believe there is an NHS bursary for the following three years, with tuition fees being covered between the bursary and the tuition fee loan, which you should be eligible for. What makes you think you won't be eligible for maintenance loan?

I haven't applied for GEM myself but I did look into it, so I think that this information is correct. If not, I'm sure others will correct me. Best of luck with your application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending