The Student Room Group

Gcse maths question

Hi, please could I have help on part b of this question? It says to draw suitable line but from what I have worked out, I should draw y=x^2-3x to get the solution for the equation but the markscheme says to draw y=2x-1? Please could some explain this? Thanks!!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Ashirs
Hi, please could I have help on part b of this question? It says to draw suitable line but from what I have worked out, I should draw y=x^2-3x to get the solution for the equation but the markscheme says to draw y=2x-1? Please could some explain this? Thanks!!

You really want to get rid of the x^2 term, since you want to end up with a straight line (i.e. no powers of x greater than 1).

Notice that if x27x+4=0x^2-7x+4=0, for example, then you could multiply the whole equation by 2, and get 2x214x+8=02x^2-14x+8=0 - it's the same function/graph.

Can you do something similar here, to start?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
You really want to get rid of the x^2 term, since you want to end up with a straight line (i.e. no powers of x greater than 1).

Notice that if x27x+4=0x^2-7x+4=0, for example, then you could multiply the whole equation by 2, and get 2x214x+8=02x^2-14x+8=0 - it's the same function/graph.

Can you do something similar here, to start?

Ahh yes multiplying by 2 gives 2x2-2x-2 and so the line will be 2x-1! Thank you very much for your help, this makes a lot more sense now:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest