The Student Room Group

Maths gcse to a level

Hi guys, hope you’re well! I had my last maths GCSE exam today. Unfortunately my school didn’t offer FM GCSE so I hope to do the content in the summer. If anyone has any tips or resources they’re willing to share, I would appreciate it!

Also, does anyone have any tips in general for A level Maths? I’ve had a look at a few past papers and the lines look daunting.
Personally, I found A Level maths a lot easier than GCSE maths funnily, this is probably due to it being less content but more "complicated" content. All A Level really is, is just learning a specific method for a specific type of question and splurging it on the exam paper. I Used to use Maths DIY for a question bank as they separated the different question types neatly. If I were to do it again I'd probably go to their page look at how they did their solutions and repeat the method on unseen questions.
Reply 2
Original post by subbhy
Hi guys, hope you’re well! I had my last maths GCSE exam today. Unfortunately my school didn’t offer FM GCSE so I hope to do the content in the summer. If anyone has any tips or resources they’re willing to share, I would appreciate it!

Also, does anyone have any tips in general for A level Maths? I’ve had a look at a few past papers and the lines look daunting.

FM gcse isn't required for A-level maths, if you want to do some work over the summer i'd suggest just making sure you stay on top of normal gcse content so you hit the ground running in september. Although it 's perfectly to fine to do absolutely nothing too.
Original post by subbhy

It's not that bad tbh. As someone else mentioned, I found it easier(And more interesting) than GCSE. I wouldn't bother reading up on anything, just enjoy your summer!

However, if you truly want to, maybe look at some basic differentiation and integration, as these are typically used at A-Level very heavily. Also make sure to brush up on simultaneous equations, equations of lines, quadratics, the discriminant(Think we did this at GCSE?), vectors, and a few others that I can't quite remember. They're all quite prominent at A-Level and underpin a lot of the future content.
Reply 4
I didn’t do A levels but went on to do an engineering degree.
I used Khanacademy to self teach A level math. It’s free and we’ll structured to help you track progress.
Reply 5
Original post by Skiwi
FM gcse isn't required for A-level maths, if you want to do some work over the summer i'd suggest just making sure you stay on top of normal gcse content so you hit the ground running in september. Although it 's perfectly to fine to do absolutely nothing too.

I think I’ve got a good foundation for GCSE maths and have almost all the past papers as far back as 2016. I know FM isn’t a requirement but my teacher has said it would be a good way to bridge the gap between GCSE and A-Level and besides, I enjoy maths and would happily do it in the summer!
Reply 6
Original post by ganglianwarrior
Personally, I found A Level maths a lot easier than GCSE maths funnily, this is probably due to it being less content but more "complicated" content. All A Level really is, is just learning a specific method for a specific type of question and splurging it on the exam paper. I Used to use Maths DIY for a question bank as they separated the different question types neatly. If I were to do it again I'd probably go to their page look at how they did their solutions and repeat the method on unseen questions.

This is interesting and something I could potentially do too so thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by AnotherStudent!
It's not that bad tbh. As someone else mentioned, I found it easier(And more interesting) than GCSE. I wouldn't bother reading up on anything, just enjoy your summer!

However, if you truly want to, maybe look at some basic differentiation and integration, as these are typically used at A-Level very heavily. Also make sure to brush up on simultaneous equations, equations of lines, quadratics, the discriminant(Think we did this at GCSE?), vectors, and a few others that I can't quite remember. They're all quite prominent at A-Level and underpin a lot of the future content.

Hi, I’ll certainly do that! My teacher said the discriminant has been moved to a level content.

Geometry vectors are weird so ill do those, thanks!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Chris2892
I didn’t do A levels but went on to do an engineering degree.
I used Khanacademy to self teach A level math. It’s free and we’ll structured to help you track progress.

Great thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest