The Student Room Group

I achieved mostly 9s and some 8s at GCSE

I wish to help others and share my resources but am unsure of where to do it - i am also looking to tutor people (currently got some offers).
I sat 10 GCSEs (Maths, English Literature, English Language, Biology + Physics + Chemistry (Triple Science) Religious Studies, Spanish, Business Studies, Geography)
I am now an A-Level student doing 4 options (Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Economics)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Helloo, Do you have any resources for Maths (EDEXCEL) and English (AQA).
Reply 2
Original post by Ryan.Seb
Helloo, Do you have any resources for Maths (EDEXCEL) and English (AQA).

I reccomend using The GCSE Maths Tutor on youtube (i mostly used him for the hard GCSE questions and to review any gaps in my knowledge).
For English I used Mr Salles also on youtube as well as the exemplars released by aqa (read through and see what ideas they award the most point for and how to structure your essays)
I’m in year 10 and have just started further maths. Any study tips or advice? Ty
Reply 4
Original post by RandomOneOhOne
I’m in year 10 and have just started further maths. Any study tips or advice? Ty

My school didn't offer gcse further maths, but from what I learned find a YouTube channel or a resource that works for you that can help you fill in gaps in your knowledge. AND if there's something you struggle with, find all and I mean ALL past paper questions on it and do them till you understand it perfectly. If you get some wrong put them aside and remind yourself to try them again the following week.
Original post by Nat16.
My school didn't offer gcse further maths, but from what I learned find a YouTube channel or a resource that works for you that can help you fill in gaps in your knowledge. AND if there's something you struggle with, find all and I mean ALL past paper questions on it and do them till you understand it perfectly. If you get some wrong put them aside and remind yourself to try them again the following week.

Thank you this is really useful. I’m finding it ok so far but it’s early days. I will definitely be doing as many past papers as I can.
Reply 6
Original post by Nat16.
I wish to help others and share my resources but am unsure of where to do it - i am also looking to tutor people (currently got some offers).
I sat 10 GCSEs (Maths, English Literature, English Language, Biology + Physics + Chemistry (Triple Science) Religious Studies, Spanish, Business Studies, Geography)
I am now an A-Level student doing 4 options (Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Economics)

Hi, I’m picking my options this year but I’ve got no clue what I want to do later on in my career
I’m left to choose within sociology, business and computing as I’m not rlly good at creative stuff …Just wonder do you recomend picking Buisness Studies? Im kinda scared that I will be the only girl to pick business in my class.And also do you think that Buisness studies has a higher chance to achieve a 9?Or do you think computing is an easier subject to get a 9?
Thanks a lot
Reply 7
Original post by Nat16.

Focus on your A levels ... if you are aiming for top grades you don't have time to waste.
Reply 8
Original post by Katrinacwk
Hi, I’m picking my options this year but I’ve got no clue what I want to do later on in my career
I’m left to choose within sociology, business and computing as I’m not rlly good at creative stuff …Just wonder do you recomend picking Buisness Studies? Im kinda scared that I will be the only girl to pick business in my class.And also do you think that Buisness studies has a higher chance to achieve a 9?Or do you think computing is an easier subject to get a 9?
Thanks a lot

Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy recently. Personally I found that achieving a 9 in business is much easier but perhaps you wish to do computing later on in your career and that option would help out a lot more. It all depends on what you wish to do.
Reply 9
Original post by Nat16.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy recently. Personally I found that achieving a 9 in business is much easier but perhaps you wish to do computing later on in your career and that option would help out a lot more. It all depends on what you wish to do.

Icic. And also what books /resources do you use for 8s and 9s? Is getting a cgp complete revision guide + practice combined with past paper from PMT enough for grade 8s and 9s? Thanks a lot
Reply 10
Original post by Nat16.

how would u revsie for business except past papers.
also do u think it would be hard going from a grade 5 to grade 6/7 for business if do normal amount of revision bcz in ma last mocks i didnt have time to revise and still got a 5
Reply 11
Icic. And also what books /resources do you use for 8s and 9s? Is getting a cgp complete revision guide + practice combined with past paper from PMT enough for grade 8s and 9s? Thanks a lot

im taking gsce computing and its suprisingly good. i have the cgp python programming guide (aqa) and a textbook that is aqa approved - that school advised to buy (from amazon). i would say one of the best revision tools is bbc bitesize, it explains the concepts very well + is great for definitions of key words which is needed in CS. would also recommend having a look at past papers on your exam board as well as looking at specification to compare subjects.
Reply 12

My favourite gcse. What i did as i learnt the topics i made a page of a4 on how to answer questions and what likely questions would come up. I did a lot of past-papers as well as i asked my teachers on hard topics but every exam board is different + i recommend gcse maths tutor
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
Focus on your A levels ... if you are aiming for top grades you don't have time to waste.

Helping others isnt a waste of time lol, plus a levels arent that hard. You dont need to spend every second of your day to get the top grades at all... this is just weird to post
Original post by BigJ123
Helping others isnt a waste of time lol, plus a levels arent that hard. You dont need to spend every second of your day to get the top grades at all... this is just weird to post

There's no need to set up a thread to help people - you just respond to posts. Your experience of A levels doesn't match the thousands of students I've taught ....
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by paracqilo
My favourite gcse. What i did as i learnt the topics i made a page of a4 on how to answer questions and what likely questions would come up. I did a lot of past-papers as well as i asked my teachers on hard topics but every exam board is different + i recommend gcse maths tutor

Thanks for the tips! Atm I am just checking through the text book and revision guide questions as I go along to make sure I understand. So far so good, I prefer it to standard maths.
Original post by paracqilo

Which board did you do?
I am doing AQA level 2 cert in FM - so not a gcse per se but it’s easier to call it that.
Reply 17
Which board did you do?
I am doing AQA level 2 cert in FM - so not a gcse per se but it’s easier to call it that.

I did wjec level 2 additional maths i think

https://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/additional-mathematics-level-2/#tab_keydocuments i see it as a gcse because i did it at the same tim eas others.
Reply 18

Apologies again for the late reply. My school provided me with the CGP guide but i didn't really use it, there's enough online pdfs and videos to help you get through the content and pmt past paper questions to help you. Also ask your teacher for advice as they are most aware of what is suitable for you.
Reply 19
Original post by ...hehe
how would u revsie for business except past papers.
also do u think it would be hard going from a grade 5 to grade 6/7 for business if do normal amount of revision bcz in ma last mocks i didnt have time to revise and still got a 5

Find youtube videos on your exam board or search for online pdfs to learn content. Past paper questions are indicative on how to phrase and structure your answer so ensure you know the content first

Quick Reply

Latest