The Student Room Group

GCSE Study and Revision Groups 2022-2023

2022-2023 list of GCSE Study and Revision Group Chats!

Looking for advice, tips or just general chat about your subject revision and exams ? Get prepared for next summers exams and join our study groups today! Simply follow the links below to the subject you study and get support, guidance and resources to help you ace your GCSEs. Can't find your subject in our list? Create yours now and tag me in @Evil Homer to get it added to the list.

To create a new group, just click this link and remember to tag me in! -> Create yours now!

GCSE Revision and Study Discussions:

Art
Biology
Business
Chemistry
Computer Science
Design and Technology
English Literature
French
German
Geography
History
Maths
Physics
Religious Studies
Spanish
English Language

Aw nice, anyone got any revision tips for those nasty questions at the end of math papers?
Original post by myshāāāā
Aw nice, anyone got any revision tips for those nasty questions at the end of math papers?

The best thing is practice ( my maths teacher - i had a conversation w him about those really really hard circle theorems which are so hard to grasp on to and asked him how he can do it so well and he said to practice as many times until u get the hang of it)

--- use corbett maths, or maths genie which can be easier to navigate through the types of Qs bc it tells you what grade each type is worth.
--- Also how I did well (in further maths gcse ) was I watched yt videos to explain how to do harder things before i try the Qs out myself.
--- I also used Doctor Frost maths which is for free just sign up ( and this is quite good for challenging topics ) and use your school name and it automatically marks them online and sometimes there are yt links to the question which u will usually find at the top of the practice question .
also : corbett maths is ok butt it kind of gives you easy qs at the start so if you want the harder versions of the topic, scroll to the end of the maths paper. his yt videos helped me a lot.
If you have time ( e.g like 3 months before mocks ) and want to gradually get better, which i'm trying to do, i've heard from many people with grade 9s that corbett's 5 a day helps, especially the higher plus/ higher if u wanna get those hard qs right https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse/
lmk if anything else <3
Original post by nareony
The best thing is practice ( my maths teacher - i had a conversation w him about those really really hard circle theorems which are so hard to grasp on to and asked him how he can do it so well and he said to practice as many times until u get the hang of it)

--- use corbett maths, or maths genie which can be easier to navigate through the types of Qs bc it tells you what grade each type is worth.
--- Also how I did well (in further maths gcse ) was I watched yt videos to explain how to do harder things before i try the Qs out myself.
--- I also used Doctor Frost maths which is for free just sign up ( and this is quite good for challenging topics ) and use your school name and it automatically marks them online and sometimes there are yt links to the question which u will usually find at the top of the practice question .
also : corbett maths is ok butt it kind of gives you easy qs at the start so if you want the harder versions of the topic, scroll to the end of the maths paper. his yt videos helped me a lot.
If you have time ( e.g like 3 months before mocks ) and want to gradually get better, which i'm trying to do, i've heard from many people with grade 9s that corbett's 5 a day helps, especially the higher plus/ higher if u wanna get those hard qs right https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse/
lmk if anything el

A hidden gem is the GCSE Maths Tutor channel on Youtube that goes through the 5 Hardest GCSE Questions in each topic step-by-step. He's got an abundance of videos for people at different levels and goes through each question with clarity. Just to reiterate, Dr Frost Maths is a great resource for challenging questions. The CGP Targeted Grade 9 Workbooks are also quite useful - I notice CGP can get a bad rep for being overly simplistic but some of their targeted workbooks can be effective for securing those top grades.
Also - might sound meaningless but I used to have a hard time with these questions because of my mindset in believing these questions were really difficult. If you try to work out some aspect of the question that may not be related to the answer it can help. Being stumped by something that may appear really complex is the first mistake many make because it's really about just breaking it down and going at it logically. Mind be helpful to consider your personal barriers to these types of questions.
Original post by AnotherAnomaly
A hidden gem is the GCSE Maths Tutor channel on Youtube that goes through the 5 Hardest GCSE Questions in each topic step-by-step. He's got an abundance of videos for people at different levels and goes through each question with clarity. Just to reiterate, Dr Frost Maths is a great resource for challenging questions. The CGP Targeted Grade 9 Workbooks are also quite useful - I notice CGP can get a bad rep for being overly simplistic but some of their targeted workbooks can be effective for securing those top grades.
Also - might sound meaningless but I used to have a hard time with these questions because of my mindset in believing these questions were really difficult. If you try to work out some aspect of the question that may not be related to the answer it can help. Being stumped by something that may appear really complex is the first mistake many make because it's really about just breaking it down and going at it logically. Mind be helpful to consider your personal barriers to these types of questions.

Omg yhhh I use him he’s rlly good
Original post by nareony

lmk if anything else <3

Honestly I find circle theorems a piece of cake, but I’ll be sure to check out dr frost! Thanks!

Those questions at the end of the paper drive me insane, so I get how you're reacting. Try talking with your teacher or you can get a friend or family member to go through it with you. I've already passed my exams in GCSE Maths, but I'm happy to help you and other people no matter what. When I struggled on the hard questions in Maths, I had to get my teacher to go through it with me and I bought a textbook so that I can study and practice at home. I know it's tiring, but don't give up. Getting positive results and getting certificates are the best bits when it comes to exams. If you're stuck on a question in the exam, I would suggest for you to come back to it and move onto the next question. If you are really struggling, try writing a guess, depending on the question. I'm not the best at explaining over text, but I have faith in you. I have a lot of resources at home and I'm currently at college right now. I just passed my Functional Skills Level 2 qualification of English, which is equivalent to a GCSE Grade 4. Don't give up, you got this! Practice makes perfect and you'll get a load of marks if you keep trying!

Wow, that's so cool! I'll check him out and I'm planning on trying out a higher level paper of GCSE Maths at home. I know it's extremely difficult and I'm trying to figure out how I should get tutored for this.

How do you not become stumped? I’ve tried countless times to just try to get it but I always end up looking to the board at my teachers explanation since I can’t get it myself. Examples of personal barriers? Also I’ve been using the CGP books for about a couple months now, THE GRADE 9 ONE IS SO HARD 😭 tips pls
(edited 1 year ago)
How do you not become stumped? I’ve tried countless times to just try to get it but I always end up looking to the board at my teachers explanation since I can’t get it myself. Examples of personal barriers? Also I’ve been using the CGP books for about a couple months now, THE GRADE 9 ONE IS SO HARD 😭 tips pls

Personal barriers: believing you cannot reach to the answer. You have to remember that it is a GCSE question aimed for the higher level students, not an impossible mathematical question unsolved by even the greatest mathematicians on the planet, if you have the intellectual stamina, it's not at all beyond the realms of possibility to solve it.

General tips:
For the first few 'difficult' questions really persist no matter how long it takes, work out what you can in the question and it is likely to get you closer to the real answer.
Try the question in the confines of your own home without the time/social pressures of class.
Don't feel disheartened if you cannot answer them at first, check the mark schemes for explanations and really internalise them rather than just writing them down, they are likely to be repeated anyway.
Really KNOW the fundamentals of each topic before you try the harder questions otherwise it is impossible without the preliminary knowledge of easier questions, build your way up to the harder question.
Personal barriers: believing you cannot reach to the answer. You have to remember that it is a GCSE question aimed for the higher level students, not an impossible mathematical question unsolved by even the greatest mathematicians on the planet, if you have the intellectual stamina, it's not at all beyond the realms of possibility to solve it.

General tips:
For the first few 'difficult' questions really persist no matter how long it takes, work out what you can in the question and it is likely to get you closer to the real answer.
Try the question in the confines of your own home without the time/social pressures of class.
Don't feel disheartened if you cannot answer them at first, check the mark schemes for explanations and really internalise them rather than just writing them down, they are likely to be repeated anyway.
Really KNOW the fundamentals of each topic before you try the harder questions otherwise it is impossible without the preliminary knowledge of easier questions, build your way up to the harder question.

Omg tysm 😭, do you think I should revisit the whole of gcse maths again?
If time permits, that would be ideal. But if not, hone in on your weakest topics.
Reply 12
Just started IGCSE and feeling absolutely nervous…I didn’t study as much in year 9 so I’m wondering how I’ll pull up with the work as well as art igcse

Quick Reply

Latest