The Student Room Group

could anyone give me any feedback on my review for GCSE english language

A film review on “The Greatest Showman”

“The Greatest Showman”, directed by Michael Gracey, is a piece of pure entertainment. Shown with 11 memorable songs including the 2017 hit “This Is Me,” the film is made for people of all ages to enjoy whether going to the cinema or if it's having a family night in with children. During the “Greatest Showman” Gracey has shown a story celebrating all kinds of diversity, humanity, and the importance of accepting everyone around us for whoever they may be. I thoroughly believe that the whole family will adore the bewildering of this fun-filled film.
The film starts with a capturing hit single called “The Greatest Show.” Hugh Jackman, who perfectly impersonates P.T Barnum, takes us on a dazzling tour keeping watchers hooked into the middle of the ring. During the next single, “A Million Dreams” Gracey shows us a poor and young Barnum befriending a well-bred daughter of someone his father is working with, named Charity Hallett played by the talented Skylar Dunn and the dream of the young pair creating their own destiny. By the end of the song, the little boy has become Hugh Jackman and the little girl has become Michelle Williams, leaping, and twirling across the rooftop of their apartment, bed sheets on the line flowing to the beat.
After struggling to establish himself, Barnum launches out on his own to creating a theatre in the heart of New York City, where he gathers people with special talents as well as those with physical abnormalities including a giant, a bearded lady, and a set of Siamese twins. The "audition" sequence is extremely tricky, although the tone is set by Jackman's inclusive delight at the parade of humanity before him. It is a moment when ignored people are for the first time really seen together as a group.
The "bearded lady," played by Keala Settle, with an amazing voice, is one of the first to come on board as her first major role onscreen is one of the many keys to why "The Greatest Showman" is so effective. She understands the spirit of the project and watching her transformation from cringing shame to fearless Diva with her anthemic "This Is Me" is one of the emotional centers of the film. Barnum's business partner is playwright and society boy Phillip Carlyle played by Zac Efron, with arrogant parents who are not only horrified at his "slumming,” but also at his romance with an African American trapeze artist (Zendaya) who sports a pompadour of cotton-candy pink hair. Their love story, as presented, is tender, pained, and sweet during the song “Rewrite the Stars.” Rebecca Ferguson plays Jenny Lind, the "Swedish Nightingale," whom Barnum took on a whirlwind concert tour through America It was his entryway into "polite" society. Jenny Lind's power ballad "Never Enough" makes you understand why Barnum, backstage, falls in love with her instantly, throwing his marriage into crisis. Ferguson may be lip-synching to Loren Allred's breathtaking vocals, but it is her performance that carries.
"The Greatest Showman” was indeed a pleasure. The Ringling Brothers may have closed shops, but Barnum lives on, and I fully recommend any family or any person to watch this film and enjoy singing and dancing your hearts away to the fantastic soundtrack and just enjoying this incredible film.
Five Stars

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending