The Student Room Group

AS physics projectiles MCQ

Hi, I was wondering if someone could please help me with the following question:
projectiles.jpg

The answer is D.

I understand why tp<tq because tp has a greater weight thus it takes longer for air resistance = weight and thus p has greater terminal velocity so it reaches the ground first.
However, I don't understand why dp>dq because the only difference between p and q is that p has a greater mass and smaller time. So I thought that the horizontal velocity of p and q is the same, but as the time period of P is smaller, it would travel a shorter distance.

Thank you very much for any help!
Reply 1
P has a greater mass but it is less affected by air resistance because it has more inertia. Think about throwing a feather vs throwing a bowling ball. The horizontal acceleration of both without air resistance is 0. But since P is less affected by air resistance, it will be decelerated less than Q, so it will travel a greater horizontal distance.
Original post by Abedshehabi
P has a greater mass but it is less affected by air resistance because it has more inertia. Think about throwing a feather vs throwing a bowling ball. The horizontal acceleration of both without air resistance is 0. But since P is less affected by air resistance, it will be decelerated less than Q, so it will travel a greater horizontal distance.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you very much!
Reply 3
Original post by Felix'sfreckles
That makes a lot of sense, thank you very much!

No problem! Anytime!

Quick Reply

Latest