The Student Room Group

Where does an adult learner start when trying to self teach GCSE maths from scratch?

Ive just bought a CGP revision book for maths but it's no good because it immediately talks about things i don't know.

I am literally a complete beginner since i never even sat my gcse's at school.

I want to self teach using books and online resources then book my exam independently.

Any tips from starting from scratch?
Reply 1
Original post by ZenDixon
Ive just bought a CGP revision book for maths but it's no good because it immediately talks about things i don't know.

I want to self teach using books and online resources then book my exam independently.

Search GCSE Maths Tutor on YouTube and he has a lot of topics he can cover
Reply 2
Do past papers, so you will get a understanding of what the paper is asking you to do
Reply 3
Maths genie might be helpful! It has every topic in GCSE maths ordered from grade 1 to 9, so you can start at whichever level is good for you. Each topic has a video explaining what to do in detail too.

@Larita1212 and @k5144 said a couple of good resources.
Here are the resources I use:
- GCSE Maths Tutor (good to go through topics + questions in depth)
- Cognito (summarises topics well - a good starting point)
- Corbett maths + Maths genie (questions by topic)
- MME and PMT (good past papers, as @ALIeHSANI said it's important to do those)

General tips:
- Always prioritise understanding the topic first + being able to recognise how to approach a question; this helps to give you a foundation understanding as well as giving you the skills to at least know what to do on a question if you haven't done any practice on it
- Use specifications/topic lists to look at areas you need improvement on, so you can prioritise them
- Regular practice is super important, whether it's once a day or a few times a week, you need to constantly practice so you don't start forgetting things
- Don't feel discouraged if you did well on a topic at first and then stumbled upon a question you find difficult. It just means you need to expand your understanding and it's always good to introduce yourself to new wording of questions.
- Use the markscheme and copy it down whenever you get a question wrong, so you can see exactly how to answer it step by step when you go back over your practice papers/past papers.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Edit: In terms of study guides, I recommend using the cgp workbook/revision guides when you need to quickly flip through a topic and when you've got a good grounding on the topic. Oxford revise has a good gcse revision guide, it's worth having a look at too.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Thanks guys, i appreciate it x
Reply 6

Heya!
Try covering 1 topic at a time and doing practice questions for each topic :h: If it helps, Study Mind has free resources you can use from revision notes to practice questions.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest