The Student Room Group

retake year12

Will it cause big problem if I retake year12 ? As I wanted to apply for Diagnostic Radiography(at this moment it was my aim). Will uni think it would be a worse idea to find out that I have retaken year12?As for my end of year exam wasn’t being too well I got two U which totally not good for me .
Original post by Ares22
Will it cause big problem if I retake year12 ? As I wanted to apply for Diagnostic Radiography(at this moment it was my aim). Will uni think it would be a worse idea to find out that I have retaken year12?As for my end of year exam wasn’t being too well I got two U which totally not good for me .

Some universities are completely unfazed by you retaking your A levels, or retaking Year 12. Others get a bit squeamish about it. Do you have any particular universities in mind right now?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Some universities are completely unfazed by you retaking your A levels, or retaking Year 12. Others get a bit squeamish about it. Do you have any particular universities in mind right now?

maybe like leed uni, Exeter uni, Cardiff?As diagnostic radiography wasn’t open in many uni
Reply 3

Does repeating year 12 need to swap subject or can I go with the original three?
Original post by Ares22
maybe like leed uni, Exeter uni, Cardiff?As diagnostic radiography wasn’t open in many uni

Within their main admissions policy (here) Leeds say, "The eligibility of students who are undertaking a further attempt at an entry qualification is an academic decision taken by the relevant school. Applicants in this situation should check the relevant school admissions policy or admissions guidance." There doesn't appear to be an applicable school-level admissions policy. You could contact [email protected] for further information, if you like.

Exeter's admissions policy (here) says that, "We are generally happy to consider those who have or are re-taking part or all of a qualification, subject to any caps or numbers management relating to the volume of unconditional offers overall." That might suggest that if they have too many applicants for Diagnostic Radiography, those who have re-taken a year might be at the back of the queue with respect to an offer.

Cardiff's School of Healthcare Sciences School of Healthcare Sciences (here) says, "Applicants who have failed to achieve A-level grades (or an equivalent qualification) at first attempt will not usually be considered for Child Nursing (B732) and Midwifery (B720) programmes." They make no such statement about Diagnostic Radiography (B823).

Despite the above not being all positive news, the fact that you have received two Us in you end-of-year 12 exams makes is difficult to imagine that you would get the predicted grades you need for Diagnostic Radiography at the above universities. Perhaps it's worth look at some Diagnostic Radiography course which include a Foundation Year, as they will have lower entry requirements? For example, this one at Plymouth say they want 32 - 48 UCAS points and this one from Derby wants CDD.
Original post by Ares22
Does repeating year 12 need to swap subject or can I go with the original three?

There's no need to change subjects in order to re-take the year.
Reply 6
Within their main admissions policy (here) Leeds say, "The eligibility of students who are undertaking a further attempt at an entry qualification is an academic decision taken by the relevant school. Applicants in this situation should check the relevant school admissions policy or admissions guidance." There doesn't appear to be an applicable school-level admissions policy. You could contact [email protected] for further information, if you like.

Exeter's admissions policy (here) says that, "We are generally happy to consider those who have or are re-taking part or all of a qualification, subject to any caps or numbers management relating to the volume of unconditional offers overall." That might suggest that if they have too many applicants for Diagnostic Radiography, those who have re-taken a year might be at the back of the queue with respect to an offer.

Cardiff's School of Healthcare Sciences School of Healthcare Sciences (here) says, "Applicants who have failed to achieve A-level grades (or an equivalent qualification) at first attempt will not usually be considered for Child Nursing (B732) and Midwifery (B720) programmes." They make no such statement about Diagnostic Radiography (B823).

Despite the above not being all positive news, the fact that you have received two Us in you end-of-year 12 exams makes is difficult to imagine that you would get the predicted grades you need for Diagnostic Radiography at the above universities. Perhaps it's worth look at some Diagnostic Radiography course which include a Foundation Year, as they will have lower entry requirements? For example, this one at Plymouth say they want 32 - 48 UCAS points and this one from Derby wants CDD.

Much thanks for you research. I think I will ask my college to see if they allow me to retake year 12
Reply 7

Other than uni, do you personally recommend retaking year12?
Reply 8
Original post by Ares22

It depends on your sixth form/college! For instance, if you fail a subject at AS level my college makes you pick a new AS subject to take in Y13, but if you fail 2+ AS exams then you'd need to pick 3 new AS subjects and retake the whole year. However, I also have friends at other colleges/sixth forms who have been able to retake Y12 with the exact same subjects!
Obviously if switching institution you'll be able to keep doing the same subjects (assuming your new school/college did the same A Level options) but I know some colleges/sixth forms won't let you repeat Y12 with the same subjects.
Reply 9
Original post by Ares22
Other than uni, do you personally recommend retaking year12?

If you think it'd be useful to you, do it! There are lots of people who retake a year (perhaps less in a conventional sixth form, but as you seem to be in a college I'd imagine there are plenty of people who retake a year or start A Levels at a later time than their peers), and it might give you a better way to catch up by giving yourself an extra year to get to grips with the AS content if you've struggled this year, especially if it's for reasons out of your control.

Though, definitely consider if it'll be 'right' for you to resit the year - if you're just struggling to understand the AS level content, keep in mind that A2 content is often more difficult so you may need to consider why you've struggled this year and what you're going to do to prevent the same happening when you resit the year.
Reply 10
Original post by rwnsl
If you think it'd be useful to you, do it! There are lots of people who retake a year (perhaps less in a conventional sixth form, but as you seem to be in a college I'd imagine there are plenty of people who retake a year or start A Levels at a later time than their peers), and it might give you a better way to catch up by giving yourself an extra year to get to grips with the AS content if you've struggled this year, especially if it's for reasons out of your control.

Though, definitely consider if it'll be 'right' for you to resit the year - if you're just struggling to understand the AS level content, keep in mind that A2 content is often more difficult so you may need to consider why you've struggled this year and what you're going to do to prevent the same happening when you resit the year.

To be honest, my biggest problem is that I cannot focus on studying. A week before the exam, my mind is still full of other things instead of studying. This cause I haven’t revise enough for all my exam .And I just realize on what I remember on the class and take it to exam
Reply 11
Original post by Ares22
To be honest, my biggest problem is that I cannot focus on studying. A week before the exam, my mind is still full of other things instead of studying. This cause I haven’t revise enough for all my exam .And I just realize on what I remember on the class and take it to exam

Although I know the exam is important but I still cannot turn myself back to study mood
Reply 12
Original post by Ares22

This is definitely something I struggle with as well! In Y10-11 I really really struggled especially with studying, and would have failed my GCSEs if I hadn't changed the way I did things - and now I'm sitting my A-Levels predicted A*A*A*. You just have to make the best of the circumstances and find ways to revise which work for you.

So for me, until very recently I just flat out could not work at home - I'd have to go to a cafe, a library, anywhere but my house. And different study methods will work for different people, it's just a matter of experimenting. My worst study habit personally is that I still can't bring myself to study properly until like 3-7 days before an exam, esp if I have multiple exams coming up, but then in those few days I spend a ridiculous amount of time studying and just make the best use of my time that I can. Is it healthy for most people? Probably not, but it works for me at the moment until I learn to balance my time a bit better.

The most important thing is keeping on top of your work so that you have revision material ready for your exams - it might also be that revising out of a big textbook is overwhelming, so keep your own notes and even get condensed study guides for your subjects!
Reply 13
Original post by rwnsl
This is definitely something I struggle with as well! In Y10-11 I really really struggled especially with studying, and would have failed my GCSEs if I hadn't changed the way I did things - and now I'm sitting my A-Levels predicted A*A*A*. You just have to make the best of the circumstances and find ways to revise which work for you.

So for me, until very recently I just flat out could not work at home - I'd have to go to a cafe, a library, anywhere but my house. And different study methods will work for different people, it's just a matter of experimenting. My worst study habit personally is that I still can't bring myself to study properly until like 3-7 days before an exam, esp if I have multiple exams coming up, but then in those few days I spend a ridiculous amount of time studying and just make the best use of my time that I can. Is it healthy for most people? Probably not, but it works for me at the moment until I learn to balance my time a bit better.

The most important thing is keeping on top of your work so that you have revision material ready for your exams - it might also be that revising out of a big textbook is overwhelming, so keep your own notes and even get condensed study guides for your subjects!

Thanks for your advice I would try it maybe it suits me as well
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest