The Student Room Group

is it too late to go into medicine?

I am currently in my first year of a-levels and i am taking biology, maths and history.. I fear that i've realised too late that i want to go and do medicine in university but i wonder if i it is possible for me to still apply and possibly expect to get in with the a-levels that i am currently taking as i know chemistry is an a-level most universities expect you to have done if you're interested in doing medicine.
I’m pretty sure you need chem for all med school applications? you could resit year 12 and change your a level options or take a gap year after year 13 and study the whole chem course and sit the exam during that year. it’s deffo not too late but I’d recommend looking into stuff for you personal statement too :smile:
Original post by nothoughts
I am currently in my first year of a-levels and i am taking biology, maths and history.. I fear that i've realised too late that i want to go and do medicine in university but i wonder if i it is possible for me to still apply and possibly expect to get in with the a-levels that i am currently taking as i know chemistry is an a-level most universities expect you to have done if you're interested in doing medicine.
its not too late at all!
not all universities require chemistry. maybe take a look look at university websites for the requirements and apply for those that do not require chemistry.
work experience is also important so try look into getting some experience relevant to medicine or a summer school for your personal statement.
the reply above me suggests that you could retake year12 which is a good option if you want to widen your university prospects
look into ucat
check out Medic mentors website they have alot of information that could help you
to get better access take chemistry as a 4th a level rn, you can do it as a private a level but it is expensive I think. your school should be able to help you somewhere

I’m on an internship and I work with meds. I’ve got GCSEs for music, maths and English. Maybe if you’re still interested try and find a place that will take in you as an intern and then train you for the job. I have nothing in medicine at all but they said I do good already but I need to do the training. I wish you good luck with everything
Reply 5
Plenty of med schools you can choose from
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending