The Student Room Group

English language paper 1

How did people find question 4 on English language paper 1? I disagreed with the statement but our English teacher has been telling us that they will always only ever give one that is correct (to agree or partially agree)?
Reply 1
The question says "to what extent do you agree" and you have the choice to say you fully disagree or fully agree. (I've heard that you shouldn't do this, but I've known some people to have said they "partially agree" with the statement, so it obviously all counts as long as you can prove your point.)
But, anyway, from what I've heard and been taught you should always say that you "fully agree" because the statement is always actually designed to be accurate.
So, the first thing I do in Question 4 is start by saying "I fully agree with the statement". Then I go through the text and find the bits that back up the statement... the back-up bits are always there ! In my opinion, whether you genuinely agree or not, it's wayyy easier to say that you fully agree because it's a lot easier to find text that backs the statement up, than text that denies it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending