The Student Room Group

Which OS are you using?

I mean who’s comfortable. I’m ****ed off at MAC OS, I’ve heard that some people put on their Windows apples) I’m looking at Linux now. There are Linux users here, share their impressions.
Reply 1
I've used Linux on my PC and laptop for the past, I think 5 years now? I think I started in Year 7 or 8. Damn that's a long time ago...
Before then I used Windows and hated it, but I've been mostly happy with Linux so far. It requires very little configuration, but if you choose to do so you can customise the entire OS, from the user interface to the core utilities.
I'd recommend Linux Mint or Fedora Workstation for anyone new to Linux, but I personally use GNU Guix System and Alpine Linux for various reasons. ElementaryOS I have heard is quite intuitive to use for MacOS users, so that might be a good choice.

But whatever you do, don't use Windows. My God, using Windows is like dealing with a rabid ape on caffeine - adverts on the home screen, a million security vulnerabilities every month, more viruses than a Chinese biolab, sells your personal data to anyone with the money to buy it, slow as a one-footed octopus with dementia, will "remind" you to try their Microsoftware (which will probably also be complete trash), forces an update on you every other week, list goes on and on...

On the other hand, Linux has only ever been good to me; installing is a 15 minute job, the OS is fast and free of bloatware, it's way more secure than Windows, and definitely more private. You can make it look however you want it to, never need to touch the command-line if you're uncomfortable with it for some reason, and in the very unlikely scenario that something does break, people tend to be helpful and supportive to help you fix things, although I've never actually asked anyone for help I don't think - most things you can just look up online thankfully

So yeah TLDR Linux the best, MacOS not the best, Windows trash
Reply 2
Thanks for reply. Now there is no doubt. Do you know good sites or forumes about Linux for beginers, or better to figure it out by yourself. Stumbled here https://ditchwindows.com/.
Reply 3
Original post by StephanieBr
Thanks for reply. Now there is no doubt. Do you know good sites or forumes about Linux for beginers, or better to figure it out by yourself. Stumbled here https://ditchwindows.com/.

Emmm... not many I can think of off of the top of my head... There's normally an official forum for each distro at least, which is quite helpful. Archwiki is also great, regardless of distro
Reply 4
Original post by Teruko
Emmm... not many I can think of off of the top of my head... There's normally an official forum for each distro at least, which is quite helpful. Archwiki is also great, regardless of distro

Archwiki, Thanks, How’s Linux doing with the pirate software?
Reply 5
Archwiki, Thanks, How’s Linux doing with the pirate software?

Not sure what you mean? What pirate software?
Reply 6
Original post by Teruko
Not sure what you mean? What pirate software?

I do video editing, and I use pirate software, which is a very expensive license.
Reply 7
I do video editing, and I use pirate software, which is a very expensive license.

Ah, I see...
DaVinci Resolve has a free version for Linux, but if that's not enough there's definitely some "free" versions floating around the Internet, which you should be able to find fairly easily (Reddit would be a good place but they're having some... issues right now). This place isn't really one for discussions of piracy however, so you should probably ask elsewhere :smile:

There's also Kdenlive and openshot which are actually free, but maybe less powerful. I haven't used any so I couldn't say for sure; extent of my knowledge of these things is only so far as a limited experience of Blender

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending