The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Does a university's prestige really matter? Trying decide between Durham and Exeter.

So I have an hour to decide between the two universities. I'm going to be studying psychology, so in terms of subject rankings, the two are pretty much the same. However, Durham ranks higher overall as a university (6th v 19th). Being from Devon, Exeter is more familiar and convenient, and I like the city, but I want to go to the one that will give me the best career opportunities; so will that higher overall ranking give me an advantage, or do employers not really care when it comes to it? Thanks.
Reply 1
Your career is what you make of it. Choose the course and uni you like better. You’ll be living there for 3 years and if you don’t like the location or the uni’s culture, you won’t have a great time.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Absolutely agree with the above, in terms of prestige I don't think you can go wrong between these two so the best option is the one you feel you will be happiest in, because that is where you will do best. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So I have an hour to decide between the two universities. I'm going to be studying psychology, so in terms of subject rankings, the two are pretty much the same. However, Durham ranks higher overall as a university (6th v 19th). Being from Devon, Exeter is more familiar and convenient, and I like the city, but I want to go to the one that will give me the best career opportunities; so will that higher overall ranking give me an advantage, or do employers not really care when it comes to it? Thanks.

I currently study psychology at Durham and love the city. One of the major factors for my decision was the modules, particularly in first year so if you can get access to Durham's faculty handbook and Exeter’s equivalent this should give details on the modules being studied and therefore which degree may suit your interests more.
Original post by Anonymous

Hiya

I agree with what everyone else has said. Having already finished two years at Durham and after engaging with employers a lot over this period, I can confirm that they never care about which university you come from. They're really looking for the skills you've learned and what you've made of the opportunities available to you- this could be in terms of work experience, volunteering, through your degree, engagement with societies, or doing something that meets your passion. So if you're inclined towards one uni just because it's higher up in a ranking table, it really will not matter at the end of the day. I'd rather go with the one that you like the course of and where you think you'll live happily for the next 3 years.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest