The Student Room Group

Durham or Exeter

I have received an offer from Exeter BSc Finance and Durham BSc Finance + a foundation year. The only issue with Durham is that when I'm in my first year (after completing the foundation year) I will be like 20 years old. Should I still go with Durham as it's more prestigious. I'd be grateful if you can give your take on this 🙏
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Not_creative
I have received an offer from Exeter BSc Finance and Durham BSc Finance + a foundation year. The only issue with Durham is that when I'm in my first year (after completing the foundation year) I will be like 20 years old. Should I still go with Durham as it's more prestigious. I'd be grateful if you can give your take on this 🙏

Prestige is a nebulous concept. Go to Exeter.
Original post by Not_creative

Hi there @Not_creative,

Congrats on receiving your offers! I hope you're looking forward to starting university next year.

First, with regards to your concern about being 20 after completing your foundation year, I wouldn't worry about your age at all! You will find that students are all different ages when they start university - some go straight from school, others take a gap year or are mature students. You will also find that some people interrupt their studies for personal reasons, do a year abroad or a year in industry. So, the idea that you'll be considered 'old' or behind in your studies really doesn't have a place at university! I wouldn't let this impact your decision too much!

With that being said, there are some other factors I would consider taking into account when you are choosing between Exeter and Durham. It might be worth taking a closer look at the modules on offer - there may be some you are interested in taking that are available at one university and not the other. There might also be differences in assessment types, contact hours, placement opportunities, etc. This could be helpful way of deciding between the two! You can find out more about the BSc Finance course at Exeter here.

I would also consider life outside of academic studies. Have a closer look at the societies and extra-curricular opportunities available at each university. This is a great way to get involved in the student community and develop new interests and hobbies. Again, you may find that there are differences between the two. Another factor to consider is the area you are living. I can't speak for Durham, but I will say that Exeter has something for everyone. The beach is about 20 minutes away by train, that's where you'll find most students on a hot, sunny day! There are loads of green spaces for long walks and fresh air. Plenty of restaurants, bars, and clubs to choose from on a night out. If you haven't done so already, it might be worth coming along to an open day or offer holder day to get a better sense of life in Exeter.

Finally, on a more personal note, I have really enjoyed my time at Exeter and couldn't recommend it enough. The student community is really welcoming and friendly, and the quality of teaching is excellent. Staff members are also always on hand to help with wellbeing concerns or any problems you might encounter during your time at university. The Careers Team are a real asset to the University - they help with everything from CV writing to interview practice, job applications, and post-graduate opportunities. I would also add that the University of Exeter is very highly regarded by employers.

I hope this has helped in some way - please feel free to get in touch with any other questions!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending