The Student Room Group

Can I apply for training contracts whilst taking re-sits?

I am in my final year of studying law and expect to graduate with a 2:1, but unfortunately have to re-take one module which I failed. Because of my circumstances this summer, I am only able to re-take the course next year. I am wondering if it will be possible for me to apply for solicitor training contracts this year whilst I am taking my re-sit (as if I was applying whilst in my final year) or whether I should wait until I have taken my re-sit before looking for training contracts.
Reply 1
You'll be doing your training contract 2 years after you have secured it so you will have time. There may also be the potential to defer it. I would write out a timeline of events and work it out exactly. Keep in mind that you will need to do the LPC (not sure if you'll still be legible to do it) or the SQE.

You also don't know if you will secure one in the cycle you apply. I don't mean to be pessimistic but I am sure you know that it is very competitive. I would apply now, and cross that bridge when you get to it. If you are unsuccessful then you will gain some practice and familiarise yourself with the application process. If you do, then a huge congratulations in advance, you are in a great position. Once there, you can work out what you need to do.

I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by KC1976
You'll be doing your training contract 2 years after you have secured it so you will have time. There may also be the potential to defer it. I would write out a timeline of events and work it out exactly. Keep in mind that you will need to do the LPC (not sure if you'll still be legible to do it) or the SQE.

You also don't know if you will secure one in the cycle you apply. I don't mean to be pessimistic but I am sure you know that it is very competitive. I would apply now, and cross that bridge when you get to it. If you are unsuccessful then you will gain some practice and familiarise yourself with the application process. If you do, then a huge congratulations in advance, you are in a great position. Once there, you can work out what you need to do.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the advice. Could you elaborate on what you refer to when you say "cycle"?

I also admit I am still a little unfamiliar with how training contracts work. It was my understanding that training contracts allowed my LPC or SQC to be paid for by the firm.
Reply 3
Original post by jhcardus
Thank you for the advice. Could you elaborate on what you refer to when you say "cycle"?

I also admit I am still a little unfamiliar with how training contracts work. It was my understanding that training contracts allowed my LPC or SQC to be paid for by the firm.

When I refer to "cycle" I am talking about the period of time when training contracts open and close. Each new year is a new application cycle. Does this make sense?

That is correct. A law firm may assist you financially to cover your LPC/ SQE costs. However, before you start your training contract you will need to complete one or the other.

The typical route involves securing the training contract in your second year of university. Completing your final year, and then spending the second year doing the LPC. This covers the two year period. After this, you start your training contract. This timeline will be similar with the SQE as far as I am aware.
Reply 4
Original post by KC1976
When I refer to "cycle" I am talking about the period of time when training contracts open and close. Each new year is a new application cycle. Does this make sense?

That is correct. A law firm may assist you financially to cover your LPC/ SQE costs. However, before you start your training contract you will need to complete one or the other.

The typical route involves securing the training contract in your second year of university. Completing your final year, and then spending the second year doing the LPC. This covers the two year period. After this, you start your training contract. This timeline will be similar with the SQE as far as I am aware.

Thank you so much, you've made that clearer than most places I have looked! I did not look into training contracts in my second year so will be applying later than other students, having already completed (most of) my degree. Do you know if me applying after finishing my third year would affect my chances of employment? I somewhat worry I might look worse for it.
Reply 5
Original post by jhcardus
Thank you so much, you've made that clearer than most places I have looked! I did not look into training contracts in my second year so will be applying later than other students, having already completed (most of) my degree. Do you know if me applying after finishing my third year would affect my chances of employment? I somewhat worry I might look worse for it.

I'm glad you found this helpful.

I wouldn't worry. The road to qualification will be different for everyone. Securing a training contract in the second year is the fastest track to qualifying, but there are lawyers which have applied after they graduated and are very successful now.

I would advise that you apply to a range of firms and not only to the "elite." If you would like some more information on this then feel free to provide me more colour on your background and I can assist. I also advise that you gain paralegal experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending