The Student Room Group

Applying with decent A levels but only 4 GCSEs?

So I’m currently on a gap year after getting A*A*A in my A levels, but I only have 4 GCSEs which I took while home ed.
My college at first offered a foundation year for me to take more GCSEs but decided I could go straight into A Levels instead.

I’m applying for philosophy now and I’m worried that if I apply for courses with higher A Level requirements my GCSEs could really badly disadvantage my application although I meet minimum entry requirements for some. Sorry if this is a dumb question but does anyone know anything about this or have any advice/experience with similar situations please? Thanks.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Which subjects were your GCSEs in and which grades? Which universities are you considering?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Which subjects were your GCSEs in and which grades? Which universities are you considering?

My subjects were English Lang (8), Maths (6), Psychology (8) and Biology (7).
I’m considering Bristol, Manchester, Warwick, and York as potential ambitious choices. Also Sussex and UEA.
Reply 3
Original post by claquiz123
My subjects were English Lang (8), Maths (6), Psychology (8) and Biology (7).
I’m considering Bristol, Manchester, Warwick, and York as potential ambitious choices. Also Sussex and UEA.

Non of those sound overly ambitious. From a quick look at Warwick they have GCSE requirements for maths and English which you meet.

If it helps give you confidence you could call or email the universities to see if they can advise.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Non of those sound overly ambitious. From a quick look at Warwick they have GCSE requirements for maths and English which you meet.

If it helps give you confidence you could call or email the universities to see if they can advise.

Oh ok thank you
Original post by claquiz123
So I’m currently on a gap year after getting A*A*A in my A levels, but I only have 4 GCSEs which I took while home ed.
My college at first offered a foundation year for me to take more GCSEs but decided I could go straight into A Levels instead.

I’m applying for philosophy now and I’m worried that if I apply for courses with higher A Level requirements my GCSEs could really badly disadvantage my application although I meet minimum entry requirements for some. Sorry if this is a dumb question but does anyone know anything about this or have any advice/experience with similar situations please? Thanks.

Contact the universities in which you are interested to see if they have minimum GCSE requirements. Your background is unusual so universities need to be made aware of that.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending