The Student Room Group

Work Experience Week 2023

Hi guys,

I am a student in Year 10 at an all-girls school in East London. Every year 10 cohort for the past 8 years or more has had the opportunity to go on Work Experience. Yet my cohort does not. Instead, we are having an in-school Industry Week (3rd-7th July), involving trips, visits and workshops etc., but I feel disheartened at this. I had a placement as a music teacher's shadow and now I cannot do that - plus I have also been looking to Work Experience since year 9. I also have a ABRSM Cello Grade 5 exam and Piano Grade 2 exam on Wednesday that week and I feel that week will go to waste unless I practise all day until the day it comes. I have complained to my Head of Year about this and she only said, in a nutshell, that there is nothing she can do.

How is it fair that we cannot have Work Experience but every Year 10 cohort before us did? Is there anything else I can do to alleviate my boredom that week?
Original post by cellist2015-now
Hi guys,

I am a student in Year 10 at an all-girls school in East London. Every year 10 cohort for the past 8 years or more has had the opportunity to go on Work Experience. Yet my cohort does not. Instead, we are having an in-school Industry Week (3rd-7th July), involving trips, visits and workshops etc., but I feel disheartened at this. I had a placement as a music teacher's shadow and now I cannot do that - plus I have also been looking to Work Experience since year 9. I also have a ABRSM Cello Grade 5 exam and Piano Grade 2 exam on Wednesday that week and I feel that week will go to waste unless I practise all day until the day it comes. I have complained to my Head of Year about this and she only said, in a nutshell, that there is nothing she can do.

How is it fair that we cannot have Work Experience but every Year 10 cohort before us did? Is there anything else I can do to alleviate my boredom that week?

The insurance for a work experience week is very expensive which could be a factor in why you are not doing one. I would recommend going into the week with an open mind and see it as opportunity to develop skills and experience. You are not doing yourself any favours by viewing it as a waste of time. It is not fair, but there is nothing you can do about it either, so the best thing you can do is try to enjoy the week and practise as you normally would any other school week. (I am practising for grade 6 clarinet :smile:)
Hi! Firstly, I am really sorry that has happened, is there any reason for it? A similar thing happened to me in year 10, but things were cancelled due to covid. I would suggest looking for something over summer or a holiday, or talking to one of your music teachers if you could shadow around school (e.g. in free periods or after/before school). I hope you can sort something out!
Thanks for the reply! I'll try to enjoy it. Good luck for your grade 6 clarinet!

Quick Reply

Latest