The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine

Hello!
I want to apply to medicine. How much work experience is usually expected? I already have a placement of over a week in a hospital.
Thank you!
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Universities aren't looking for a specific amount of work experience, but instead will expect you to be able to draw on experience to answer questions at interview. What really is important about work experience is how you reflect on it and learn from it.
A hospital placement is brilliant for understanding the role and the challenges of a doctor. You may want to look into volunteering as I found it gave some really useful experiences to talk about at interview. Examples of this could be care homes, St John Ambulance or youth groups, which will all give you you something to talk about when talked about skills such as teamwork, empathy etc.
Reply 3
Original post by damnitsnyge
Universities aren't looking for a specific amount of work experience, but instead will expect you to be able to draw on experience to answer questions at interview. What really is important about work experience is how you reflect on it and learn from it.
A hospital placement is brilliant for understanding the role and the challenges of a doctor. You may want to look into volunteering as I found it gave some really useful experiences to talk about at interview. Examples of this could be care homes, St John Ambulance or youth groups, which will all give you you something to talk about when talked about skills such as teamwork, empathy etc.

It depends because there are some that ask for at least two weeks of work experience, like Manchester and Birmingham, I'm not sure about others. However, your point about drawing from these experiences still stands.
I would on the whole say that 2 weeks is the amount of work experience you should be doing, just out of competition with other candidates. (Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will lie, but that's besides the point) 2 weeks, of WE, I think in 1-2 specialties would be good work experience, in terms of just pure CV fodder. In terms of what you actually learn is what I reckon is more important, as said by @damnitsnyge. Quality of work experience matters, and if you're doing some paid work experience online I can gaurantee you you're not learning about what it's like to work in medicine, more just what med schools want to think you know (which defeats the point of work experience). Make sure that you're applying to real hospitals, shadowing real doctors and actually interacting with HCPs (and patients if you're allowed to/ if that's possible), and reflecting as much as possible. This, unless prepared very well, will show during interview and interviewers appreciate a candidate who knows what they're talking about and can draw on personal experience and unique cases that they've seen (maintaining confidentiality of course). A week of good hospital experience should involve the above, and will massively outdo some rich kid who's paid 10k to do "summer camps in medicine".
Reply 5
Re the previous poster comments (coulsnt quote for some reason)

Is that new about Birmingham, or old? Its not what thier website seems to say.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/preparing-to-apply.aspx

OP. The advice provided about reflection earlier in the thread is very important. You can draw on a range of work experiences ranging from working in Macdonalds, through working with kids, volunteering in a care home, working as an HCA, online like Observe GP and the BSMS one. Also work experience in a medical environment will be helpful of course, but it is, as everybody acknowledges really quite hard to get post Covid. Places like keele wont consider shadowing in any event. Expeeience in a caring environment is very useful to reflect on.

The birmingham link i provided - scroll down onto the section on reflection. Useful links. Also lots of good online resources available about reflection more generally.

I agree that "buying" in work experience as an expensive course isnt necessary.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by NCiTizen
It depends because there are some that ask for at least two weeks of work experience, like Manchester and Birmingham, I'm not sure about others. However, your point about drawing from these experiences still stands.

Nowhere asks for a specific amount of WEx for A100 now.

Original post by KindaSmartish
I would on the whole say that 2 weeks is the amount of work experience you should be doing, just out of competition with other candidates. (Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will lie, but that's besides the point) 2 weeks, of WE, I think in 1-2 specialties would be good work experience, in terms of just pure CV fodder. In terms of what you actually learn is what I reckon is more important, as said by @damnitsnyge. Quality of work experience matters, and if you're doing some paid work experience online I can gaurantee you you're not learning about what it's like to work in medicine, more just what med schools want to think you know (which defeats the point of work experience). Make sure that you're applying to real hospitals, shadowing real doctors and actually interacting with HCPs (and patients if you're allowed to/ if that's possible), and reflecting as much as possible. This, unless prepared very well, will show during interview and interviewers appreciate a candidate who knows what they're talking about and can draw on personal experience and unique cases that they've seen (maintaining confidentiality of course). A week of good hospital experience should involve the above, and will massively outdo some rich kid who's paid 10k to do "summer camps in medicine".

Clinical WEx is not necessary as long as somebody has put themselves in a position to know what the career entails, and that can be done by reading and online WEx, if clinical placements are not available.

Of far more use is long term hands-on volunteering in some form of "caring" role, eg care home, hospice, homeless shelter, etc. Reflection on this will hit far more requirements at interview than shadowing a Dr will - and in fact some places give no benefit whatsoever for this, as it is often more about who you know than anything else.

Failing that, a public-facing job, eg in hospitality or retail will demonstrate lots of skills that will be totally transferable to the questions asked at a med school interview, especially if combined with teamwork and responsibility roles at school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending