The Student Room Group

What job do you think I should do from my a level options and gcse grades???

gcse grades:
COMPUTER SCIENCE - 6 (B)
BIOLOGY - 7 (A)
SPORT STUDIES - 5 (C)
BUSINESS - 8 (A)
CHEMISTRY - 7 (A)
PHYSICS - 6 (B)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE - 7 (A)
ENGLISH LITERATURE - 6 (B)
MATHS - 6 (B)
My a levels I picked:
Chemistry
Biology
Business
Economics
What jobs can I get from my gcse grades and a level options that I’ve picked what do you think???
Reply 1
chem bio can net med, but i dont think your grades will be strong enough. id advise thinking about degree first then job, cus almost no one knows the exact job they want. you cant do econ at uni, cus you need maths+econ
(or another closely linked subject). I wouldn't recommend doing 4 a levels, cus business will be useless, and i think your grades may suffer as a result, based on your current ones
Reply 2
I wasn’t anyways planning to do economics at uni I just picked it over maths idk why might drop it out but there is no need I also picked business bc I love how I find it ez got grade 8 in GCSEs and also got grade 6 in maths which is awful that’s why I didn’t pick it for a levels and also I picked chemistry and biology so basically I wanna become a pharmacist but could switch to accounting that’s why I picked 2 subjects related to pharmacy which is chemistry and biology and 2 linked with accounting which is business and economics can I get in them without a level maths bc I don’t really like maths one of my weak topics???

Original post by Imran M
chem bio can net med, but i dont think your grades will be strong enough. id advise thinking about degree first then job, cus almost no one knows the exact job they want. you cant do econ at uni, cus you need maths+econ
(or another closely linked subject). I wouldn't recommend doing 4 a levels, cus business will be useless, and i think your grades may suffer as a result, based on your current ones
Original post by aryc_30
gcse grades:
COMPUTER SCIENCE - 6 (B)
BIOLOGY - 7 (A)
SPORT STUDIES - 5 (C)
BUSINESS - 8 (A)
CHEMISTRY - 7 (A)
PHYSICS - 6 (B)
ENGLISH LANGUAGE - 7 (A)
ENGLISH LITERATURE - 6 (B)
MATHS - 6 (B)
My a levels I picked:
Chemistry
Biology
Business
Economics
What jobs can I get from my gcse grades and a level options that I've picked what do you think???

For the love of God, please don't immediately do 4 A-Levels. Trust me, I got all Grade 9/8/7s at GCSE and decided "Hey, 4 A-Levels must be amazingly easy, right? It's just 4 subjects, as opposed to my previous x amount of subjects?"

Wrong.

It's so much more difficult than that. You need to really think about just doing 3 for now, and then, if you're hitting A*s or As consistently and not sitting around any of the grade boundaries, maybe do an AS level in something. I'm hitting As now and even still I'm hesitant about picking up A-Level Chemistry because the amount of coursework you'll be doing is overwhelming, and that's an understatement.

I'm also a bit curious about the subjects you picked. Chem and Biology's certainly an odd pairing with Business or Economics. My opinion would be, if you're insisting on doing Chemistry, Biology and something financial/business related, pick Chem/Bio/Economics and then for something in your fourth slot, either go for an EPQ or speak to your sixth form or college about doing Core Maths. Core Maths will really compliment all of those subjects and if you do that, I think universities and companies will really appreciate it because it'll show that you have quite a decent knowledge of Maths. However, this will definitely require you to step up your Maths game; even "Grade 9/8 Maths at GCSE" people will be hitting just Cs and Bs at A-Level; it's a whole new thing. As Imran said as well, Business isn't a bad A-Level by any means, but it's just not really as well respected as something like Economics, and it certainly isn't as useful.

Original post by aryc_30
What jobs can I get from my gcse grades and a level options that I’ve picked what do you think???

Again, as previously mentioned, it's an odd combination, but I'd say you're looking at something more scientific or financial...obviously. Only issue is, Chemistry and Biology on their own aren't necessarily going to do you justice in regards to a job straight out of sixth form. To go into the sciences, going to university and getting a degree is heavily advised. For Economics/Business, I really don't know, but I think they're probably more promising than the sciences in regards to getting a job related to that subject straight out of college. I've heard of quite a few apprenticeships about those two subjects, so that might be something to ask around about.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest