The Student Room Group

Law with slightly poor gcses

Originally I got an 8 in English lit but a 5 in English language):

I'm now in a level doing bio psychology and politics I've checked the uni requirements and a 5 seems good enough but my friends keep telling me the 5 will be a problem when actually applying for the job and that I'll probably not get hired by any employers is this a problem and should I resit?
Original post by D17Hio

I'm now in a level doing bio psychology and politics I've checked the uni requirements and a 5 seems good enough but my friends keep telling me the 5 will be a problem when actually applying for the job and that I'll probably not get hired by any employers is this a problem and should I resit?

I doubt it will be an issue, because employers care much more about the fact you have a degree rather than a GCSE you did over 5 years ago at that point (which you did pass). I wouldn't resit and just focus on doing well in your A-levels so you go to the university you want to go to.
Original post by D17Hio

Hi there

I think employers tend to weigh the University degree and A levels much greater than GCSEs. The really prestigious firms out there may require a slightly higher GCSE grade, but I do not think most employers are concerned with this. (You may like to do some research into this- e.g. looking at the entry requirements for firms that interest you).

If you would like to retake your GCSE exam, you should consider how this may impact on your A level results. (A levels are really important, they determine what University you can get into, which will subsequently affect your ability to get a good job). If resitting your GCSEs will affect your A levels, then it may not be the best option. Or perhaps you could postpone to taking it during the holidays or during your University studies? Some law degrees do not count first year grades into the final degree mark. (Though you should still try to do well in them, as they may affect your second year applications for work experience).

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by D17Hio

It’s rare that employers even look at GCSEs. They will mainly look at your highest qualifications in the field you’re applying to. Your friends are probably just trying to scare you, GCSEs really don’t matter if you’ve got a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest