The Student Room Group

Should I do a L3 Apprenticeship or go back to colllege?

I finished college last summer and took a gap year to figure out what I wanted to do, I decided I wanted to go into accounting and applied for a few apprenticeships, a law firm offering a 3 year L3 apprenticeship invited me to an assessment centre. After doing some research I found out a L3 is equal to A-levels when I was hoping to be working at university level. I could go back to college and complete the L3 in a year, what should I do?
The thing to bear in mind is that an apprenticeship is not just about getting the qualification, it's also about gaining work experience. Not everyone is academic, and some people benefit from seeing how their learning is applied in the real world so find that the apprenticeship route to learning is better for them. You also have the benefit of getting to the end with either a few good years of industry experience, and some people go on to be offered full time jobs with the company that they have been working for so can be a good way into work. Alternatively, if you think that you'd gain the A level qualifications quicker by going back to college and want to study for a degree with an apprenticeship then that may well work better for you, but competition for apprenticeships is increasing and you shouldn't assume that because you've been offered one that you'd readily get another...
Reply 2
Original post by BeingBoring
The thing to bear in mind is that an apprenticeship is not just about getting the qualification, it's also about gaining work experience. Not everyone is academic, and some people benefit from seeing how their learning is applied in the real world so find that the apprenticeship route to learning is better for them. You also have the benefit of getting to the end with either a few good years of industry experience, and some people go on to be offered full time jobs with the company that they have been working for so can be a good way into work. Alternatively, if you think that you'd gain the A level qualifications quicker by going back to college and want to study for a degree with an apprenticeship then that may well work better for you, but competition for apprenticeships is increasing and you shouldn't assume that because you've been offered one that you'd readily get another...

I agree with this. Also note that there are funding restrictions at colleges (age wise) so you may not be able to complete a Level 3 qualification in a year as these courses are usually taught over a two year period.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending