The Student Room Group

Degree apprenticeship chances with low GCSEs but good BTEC grades?

So my situation is, when I came into the country (12/2021), I got enrolled into into a Level 2 ICT course alongside with GCSE Maths and English in a college.
After 4-5 months, I was already sitting the GCSE exams. I wanted to do higher maths as I have always loved maths(strange right), but the teacher didn't let me as I came late, I was told I can do it next year.

I got 5 for English, 5 for Maths. In the upcoming year though, I wasn't allowed to retake GCSE, just maybe in other college for high prices, so I eventually didn't go for it.

I am now in my second year of BTEC L3 Extended Diploma in IT. For my first year I got D*(all 6 units D) and my predicted grade is expected to be DDD.
I am looking for a degree apprenticeship in software engineering, however, I am a bit afraid that I might not get one because of my low GCSE grades. I am trying to counteract that with the fact that I have some coding background, I have been learning web development by myself for years, I participated in a web competition, which resulted being in the top 10.
I am focusing on 'selling' by myself with my skills, but I am still afraid.
Original post by MarkKiss
So my situation is, when I came into the country (12/2021), I got enrolled into into a Level 2 ICT course alongside with GCSE Maths and English in a college.
After 4-5 months, I was already sitting the GCSE exams. I wanted to do higher maths as I have always loved maths(strange right), but the teacher didn't let me as I came late, I was told I can do it next year.

I got 5 for English, 5 for Maths. In the upcoming year though, I wasn't allowed to retake GCSE, just maybe in other college for high prices, so I eventually didn't go for it.

I am now in my second year of BTEC L3 Extended Diploma in IT. For my first year I got D*(all 6 units D) and my predicted grade is expected to be DDD.
I am looking for a degree apprenticeship in software engineering, however, I am a bit afraid that I might not get one because of my low GCSE grades. I am trying to counteract that with the fact that I have some coding background, I have been learning web development by myself for years, I participated in a web competition, which resulted being in the top 10.
I am focusing on 'selling' by myself with my skills, but I am still afraid.

My advice would be to go for it. You’ve got the right idea about selling your skillset to prospective employers. Continue adding courses or additional experience to help you get ahead of the competition. Take it from me I’ve got an extremely similar educational background to yours and I managed to get into a good apprenticeship program.
I would say go for it! Also, I'm in a situation like you. My GCSEs are 7-75554443 (June 2019 exam season) and a D* D* D* in my Level 3 IT. Your GCSEs are not that low, they are average, by the way, so don't feel bad about that. There are some that will be a bit hard to get into with a BTEC, such as JPM, GS, and UBS, as they will send you to a Russell Group university, which requires high grades. If possible, try to see if you can get a DDD or D*DD. But you have the right mindset, which will be looked upon more favourably in many cases. If you are unable to get a degree-level apprenticeship, try for Level 4 and work your way up to degree level. They are easier to get due to less competition and require lower grades.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending