The Student Room Group

Solve this, I Can't

There are 100 employees in a company. 49 are performing well and 16 have a gym membership. An unknown number "N" have both a gym membership (G) and are performing well (W). An employee is selected at random. Make a Venn diagram (answer with what would be in Set G, Set W, Union and outside).

I can not for the life of me figure this out, this is a grade 6-7 question on MyMaths for GSCE Revision on Conditional Probability.
Original post by Ozymandias007
There are 100 employees in a company. 49 are performing well and 16 have a gym membership. An unknown number "N" have both a gym membership (G) and are performing well (W). An employee is selected at random. Make a Venn diagram (answer with what would be in Set G, Set W, Union and outside).

I can not for the life of me figure this out, this is a grade 6-7 question on MyMaths for GSCE Revision on Conditional Probability.

Hey! I'll try to help without giving you the answer - you want to make a venn diagram showing the information you mentioned above. I assume you don't have actual numbers tho or any way to calculate them because the question doesn't require it?

You want to start by drawing the circles needed with their headers, then taking the information you DO know and putting that in the appropriate place. Then use that information to come up with 'equations' for the rest of the areas in your venn diagram and that's it. Don't forget the box around the venn diagram circles though!
Reply 2

Again, assuming the question is correct, the answers will depend on the variable N. Upload what youve tried.
(edited 10 months ago)
I don't know how to upload a photo, but I tried the Venn diagram the first time (I am not that helpless) and I ran to the problem that it is impossible to figure out the value of the union, because it could range from 1 to 15! It does not specify at any point that value, do you guys know how to do it without being told it?
Reply 4
I don't know how to upload a photo, but I tried the Venn diagram the first time (I am not that helpless) and I ran to the problem that it is impossible to figure out the value of the union, because it could range from 1 to 15! It does not specify at any point that value, do you guys know how to do it without being told it?

to upload a photo, click on the camera icon on the replyl toolbar and simply upload. As in the previous post, they must want an answer which is an expression, so a function of N. So upload your understanding of the question and your working if you want any more help.

Quick Reply

Latest