The Student Room Group

Send me your maths questions!

A level student looking to use my skills to give back to the community (and have something nice to say in my ps😅). If your a student in yr10-yr12 struggling with any maths problems (preferably pure cuz I hate stats lol) send them to me and I’ll try to solve and explain them to you. Emphasis on “try” cuz I can’t guarantee that I know the answer lmao.
I'll offer a (fairly) simple question as a warm up...
Prove the angle at the centre theorem (any angle at the centre is twice that of the circumference). If you want an extra challenge, you can't say the centre angle is 180 - 2x (this is a bit of a hint as well).
Reply 2
Original post by Arnold Rimmer
Prove the angle at the centre theorem (any angle at the centre is twice that of the circumference). If you want an extra challenge, you can't say the centre angle is 180 - 2x (this is a bit of a hint as well).

lol i think they just wanted to help students with hw or revision, not do math questions for fun
Reply 3
Original post by million.

lol i think they just wanted to help students with hw or revision, not do math questions for fun

No I actually like doing maths for fun so send me these as well😅
Reply 4

Done it, took me like 30 seconds to get the answer but proof writing is longer than solving the acc question lmao🤣. Nice question tho gave me some GCSE nostalgia.
Reply 5
Hi can you workout the product of 99x1089 using addition and subtraction calculations only please
Reply 6
Hi workout the product of 99x1089 using addition and subtraction only
Reply 7
Original post by Dumbo786
Hi can you workout the product of 99x1089 using addition and subtraction calculations only please

Looking at it now🫡
Reply 8
Original post by Tbc_losis
Alr I think I’ve got (questions kinda ambiguous so I’ll do my best):

Not sure if this is what was intended but you can take out the factor of 9 from both sides with some mental maths to get 9(11x121)

Given that 121 is just 11^2 you can take out another factor of 11 to get 99(1x11)

This can then be written as 99x11 which is just 99 + 99 + 99… 11 times.

Would be very tedious to do all the addition but you’d eventually get the answer your looking for

Hope this helps!

9^2 factor?
But the simple way would be 108900-1089 = ...
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766

9^2 factor?
But the simple way would be 108900-1089 = ...

Damn ur right, how’d u solve it like that😅
Reply 10
Original post by tbc_losis

alr i think i’ve got (questions kinda ambiguous so i’ll do my best):

Not sure if this is what was intended but you can take out the factor of 9 from both sides with some mental maths to get 9(11x121)

given that 121 is just 11^2 you can take out another factor of 11 to get 99(1x11)

this can then be written as 99x11 which is just 99 + 99 + 99… 11 times.

Would be very tedious to do all the addition but you’d eventually get the answer your looking for

hope this helps!

nevermind dont listen to me i butchered that question what the hell??!!
Alr I think I’ve got (questions kinda ambiguous so I’ll do my best):

Given that 121 is just 11^2 you can take out another factor of 11 to get 99(1x11)

This can then be written as 99x11 which is just 99 + 99 + 99… 11 times.

Hope this helps!

Please note the maths forum rules forbid posters from solving questions - we only give hints. Please stop doing questions for people.
Reply 12
Very sorry I didn’t know🙇*♂️
Reply 13
Thanks guys
Damn ur right, how’d u solve it like that😅

Assuming you know now but 99 = 100 - 1
Done it, took me like 30 seconds to get the answer but proof writing is longer than solving the acc question lmao🤣. Nice question tho gave me some GCSE nostalgia.

Assuming you used this proof: An exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of its two opposite non-adjacent interior angles.
Hope you like mechanics

a smooth ring is threaded on a light inextensible string. the ends of the string are attached to a horizontal ceiling, and make angles of 30 and 60 degrees with the ceiling respectively. The ring is held in equilibrium by a horizontal force of magnitude 8N. Whats the tension
Reply 17
Original post by egghead3939
Hope you like mechanics

a smooth ring is threaded on a light inextensible string. the ends of the string are attached to a horizontal ceiling, and make angles of 30 and 60 degrees with the ceiling respectively. The ring is held in equilibrium by a horizontal force of magnitude 8N. Whats the tension

Dont spam the same question pls.
Reply 18

Assuming you used this proof: An exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of its two opposite non-adjacent interior angles.

I actually didn’t I just split triangle into two with a radius
Original post by username6524289

Elegant proof.

Quick Reply

Latest