The Student Room Group

How to get into big four? Graduated 3 years

How to get into the big four audit/ advisory? Can I join their graduation scheme after graduating for 3 years? Or should I gain more experience in the field and be charted accountant and apply for experienced hire? I am a part-qualified accountant at the moment got 2.5 years of work experience in insolvency, data analytics and internal audit, which are not very related to the position I would like to apply for. Please give me a piece of advice on the routines that would get me there. Thank you so much!
Reply 1
You refer to being part qualified. Which exams have you passed?
Reply 2
I am left with the professional level exams to be completed and 1.5 years of PER to be signed off. FYI, I got a bachelor's degree in accounting and finance and a Master's degree in finance.
Reply 3
Original post by bigfouroffer
I am left with the professional level exams to be completed and 1.5 years of PER to be signed off. FYI, I got a bachelor's degree in accounting and finance and a Master's degree in finance.

Does that mean that you have had a training contract under icaew previously?

Have you sat professional exams previously or do you just need to sit professional level based on exemptions from university? When you refer to professional level and PER is this ACCA or ICAEW?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Does that mean that you have had a training contract under icaew previously?

Have you sat professional exams previously or do you just need to sit professional level based on exemptions from university? When you refer to professional level and PER is this ACCA or ICAEW?

Combining the exemptions and exams I have passed, all I am left with are the professional exams to be sat. I am doing ACCA and I gain my work experience outside the UK. I currently working as an internal auditor for a plc and have a training contract with the company in the UK.

As I believe the big four's external audit/ advisory working experience would give me more exit opportunities/ possibilities in the further. If you see what I mean, any recommdation?
Reply 5
Combining the exemptions and exams I have passed, all I am left with are the professional exams to be sat. I am doing ACCA and I gain my work experience outside the UK. I currently working as an internal auditor for a plc and have a training contract with the company in the UK.

As I believe the big four's external audit/ advisory working experience would give me more exit opportunities/ possibilities in the further. If you see what I mean, any recommdation?

Looking at your original post - yes - you can apply to big 4 audit schemes 3 years after graduation. I suspect your experience is unrelated enough that you would be eligible for the standard grad scheme.

You could also look for larger accounting firms outside the big 4 which have audit departments, work there and then apply as an experienced hire to big 4 firms.

Without knowing a lot more about you I couldn't comment on how likely you might be to get in. However - lets say you applied to 10 schemes. Perhaps it takes a day each to complete the application forms? That might not be excessive to have a chance at a job you would like to do.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Looking at your original post - yes - you can apply to big 4 audit schemes 3 years after graduation. I suspect your experience is unrelated enough that you would be eligible for the standard grad scheme.

You could also look for larger accounting firms outside the big 4 which have audit departments, work there and then apply as an experienced hire to big 4 firms.

Without knowing a lot more about you I couldn't comment on how likely you might be to get in. However - lets say you applied to 10 schemes. Perhaps it takes a day each to complete the application forms? That might not be excessive to have a chance at a job you would like to do.

Thank you for your advice! Really appreciate that!
How to get into the big four audit/ advisory? Can I join their graduation scheme after graduating for 3 years? Or should I gain more experience in the field and be charted accountant and apply for experienced hire? I am a part-qualified accountant at the moment got 2.5 years of work experience in insolvency, data analytics and internal audit, which are not very related to the position I would like to apply for. Please give me a piece of advice on the routines that would get me there. Thank you so much!

Hey, I would defo recommend booking a session with a Career mentor. I was in a similar situation and just needed someone to tell me exactly what steps to take. After unsuccessfully cold LinkedIn messaging professionals, I was recommended CareerPaths. Had a one off chat with a PE professional who worked at Deloitte who set out an action plan for me. I think at the minute they are offering a first session free deal, defo check it out - wish I knew about this earlier!
personally I dont think you need to apply for a grad scheme as you have graduated and have a masters degree. I work at a big 4 as an experienced hire in consulting, dont have all my ACCA's but had 3 years work experience and thats how I got the job. Let me know if you want to discuss anything privately :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending