The Student Room Group

Masters Student Loan

Are you eligible for the Master's Student Loan if your undergraduate degree was four years (not an integrated master's or anything but just a standard four-year BA)?

Some people have told me you can't apply, but I can't seem to find anything on the website.
Hello,

According to Student Finance, https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility

You cannot obtain a master's loan if:

1. You're currently receiving payments from student finance for another course.
2. You've received a loan for a master's course
3. You already have a master's degree

Since you've done an undergraduate degree, then you should be eligible for a master's degree loan. Obviously, you should confirm that with Student Finance, but given that you don't hit any of the ineligible criteria, you should be fine.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JHS11
Are you eligible for the Master's Student Loan if your undergraduate degree was four years (not an integrated master's or anything but just a standard four-year BA)?

Some people have told me you can't apply, but I can't seem to find anything on the website.

Hello @JHS11
I hope you are well.

Yes! By all means you can. As long as you have not received a loan for a masters degree in the past - you should able to get one.
I am currently doing my masters degree and I graduated from my undergraduate degree in 2013! :smile:. Because I have not done a masters degree before, I got a masters degree loan extremely easily from Student finance.

I would recommend just ringing up and finding out how to apply. You can always confirm with them over the phone too. I rang asked If I was eligible and they asked about 3 questions and then confirmed there and then that I was eligible. You will also be able to apply for the full amount to cover living costs aswell as your masters degree as long as you haven't studied a masters degree before.

as a side note, If you have studied a masters degree in the past but paid for it yourself, that's fine, you should be able to apply for a the student loan.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

- Laura
Original post by JHS11

Hi @JHS11,

Taking the undergraduate loan for a four year course (without an integrated masters) shouldn't affect your ability to take out the Masters loan! Typically the Masters loan is more affected by whether you've done a Masters level or higher (e.g. PhD) qualification before rather than an undergraduate degree. They do have a forum space on the site here where you can ask them questions - have linked this below for you, as its always best to check in with them on personal eligibility, just in case there's any other factors to consider!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=545

All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep
Reply 4
Hi I will graduate from Durham BSc PPE in July and will continue with my Master’s at LSE (MSc Political Sociology) in September. This taught programme is 12 months and I would like to apply for a Master’s Loan at gov uk. The programme is not 180 credits, since only 12 months, but normally people continue with a research master’s in combination with a PhD programme. I do not have another master degree and I had a loan during undergrad. Can I apply for the Masters Loan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending