The Student Room Group

Are piercings unprofessional? (Legal career)

Hi! I was recently wanting to get a nose piercing and more piercings on my ears (about 4/5 on each ear) but I want to pursue a legal career in the future. I know the world is recently moving to a more accepting and tolerant view on piercings but I was wondering if this would seriously hinder my professional perceptions of me?
Reply 1
The idea of legal work is you are beholden to the principle integrity and of being fair and open to all. The law of the land is deemed more important than your individual personal dress sense. This means dressing conservatively when meeting clients and in court, putting the holding of office above fashion and not having any ostentatious display of adornments. The focus should be on your legal presentation, not on how bad your piercings are.
Reply 2
It seems like you could get a nose piercing now and then further down the road if you want to take it out that shouldn't be an issue? (it doesn't seem like that would be too obvious?)

Kinda the same thing with ears but as you probably already know the piercing marks/holes will be more noticeable in the future in the lower part of the lobe than if you get cartilege piercings.

It's good you're at least considering the long term implications before making decisions like this. I'd say just try to balance your current life/style interests and being able to express yourself the way you want to, but not doing anything TOO drastic that you might wish you could change later. That's usually more common with tattoos :smile:

Do you have any other piercings or tats already?
Reply 3
Original post by xxColinxx
It seems like you could get a nose piercing now and then further down the road if you want to take it out that shouldn't be an issue? (it doesn't seem like that would be too obvious?)

Kinda the same thing with ears but as you probably already know the piercing marks/holes will be more noticeable in the future in the lower part of the lobe than if you get cartilege piercings.

It's good you're at least considering the long term implications before making decisions like this. I'd say just try to balance your current life/style interests and being able to express yourself the way you want to, but not doing anything TOO drastic that you might wish you could change later. That's usually more common with tattoos :smile:

Do you have any other piercings or tats already?

Thanks for this balanced response! I suppose I'm considering taking out piercings in the future if necessary as that's probably the most logical way forward. I've got no tattoos but a few piercings on my ears! (Lobes, seconds and I will be getting a cartilage and low helix soon)
Reply 4
Original post by vxttorxa
Thanks for this balanced response! I suppose I'm considering taking out piercings in the future if necessary as that's probably the most logical way forward. I've got no tattoos but a few piercings on my ears! (Lobes, seconds and I will be getting a cartilage and low helix soon)

Also as you probably know law school is super competitive so I wouldn't worry too much about basing decisions like this on a possible legal career in the future. Unless, like I said before, it's something pretty drastic like neck tats :smile:
Depends on the career you are planning. Per se it is up to you how to dress yourself and what you like to wear on your skin. As long as there are no conventions to follow to keep etiquette. Businessmen and women for instance can't be regarded seriously and trustful with piercings to suits.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Law is probably the one place where things haven't moved on too much in this regard
Original post by gjd800
Law is probably the one place where things haven't moved on too much in this regard

This and the business branch. And I think that the tolerance in medicine has not changed too. Guess that the most people would mind, if they are treated by doctors with piercings.
Reply 8
Original post by Kallisto
This and the business branch. And I think that the tolerance in medicine has not changed too. Guess that the most people would mind, if they are treated by doctors with piercings.

I routinely see consultants with substantial tattoos and piercings, so I'm not sure how true this is outside of the obvious infection control protocols. Indeed my gf is a ward sister and she has tons of piercings, has to cover some up in some circumstances.

My point here really is that it's less about looking professional and more about dodging infections.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Depends what you mean by "legal career". If you mean solicitor, then it might be an issue for these conservative City firms doing corporate work.

On the other hand, some boutique firms are quite hippie and have very loose dress codes. Equally, a lot of high street solictors look a total mess, especially on-call. If you're working for the government or courts, frankly anything goes nowadays.

Quick Reply

Latest