The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford Medicine 2023

I got 999999887 and a distinction in health and social care at GCSE and am predicted A*AA for a levels. But could probably get A*A*A in the October mocks before we submit our ucas application. With a strong BMAT - do you think I have a good chance at getting into Oxford Medicine ? For context - I’m a first generation and am from an area in the UK that has low rates of access to higher education.
Yes you may also qualify for contexual offer so lower grades, take a look into it
Original post by Anonymous
I got 999999887 and a distinction in health and social care at GCSE and am predicted A*AA for a levels. But could probably get A*A*A in the October mocks before we submit our ucas application. With a strong BMAT - do you think I have a good chance at getting into Oxford Medicine ? For context - I’m a first generation and am from an area in the UK that has low rates of access to higher education.

I am a secondary school student in the UK, please tell me how did u get those 9 & 8s?
I got 999999887 and a distinction in health and social care at GCSE and am predicted A*AA for a level. But could probably get A*A*A in the October mocks before we submit our UCAS application. With a strong BMAT - do you think I have a good chance of getting into Oxford Medicine? For context - I’m a first generation and am from an area in the UK that has low rates of access to higher education.

I am going to be a yr 11 GCSE student in September
Can I ask, how did u get those 9 & 8s in GCSE and how can I prepare before my exams in May
My predicted grades are all over 6+ and 8+ no 9s thou, so how can I achieve these top grades
any advice?
Reply 4
I am going to be a yr 11 GCSE student in September
Can I ask, how did u get those 9 & 8s in GCSE and how can I prepare before my exams in May
My predicted grades are all over 6+ and 8+ no 9s thou, so how can I achieve these top grades
any advice?

Even in y11 mocks i got a few 5s and 6s - so it’s most definitely possible with dedication, and a good work ethic. If you haven’t already make your notes or flashcards now before summer ends for topics you’re already covered. You might not be able to finish all your notes before summer but if you start now- you’ll definitely get further than if you start later on. Make sure you have all of your notes/resources made for around Spring time and that’s when the real work begins. Go through the specification and find areas of weakness and be critical (even if you don’t understand a tiny aspect of it - write it DOWN). Then go through that list and familiarise yourself with it - watch videos, use your CGP revision guide, use online resources (e.g. sciencehive, savemyexams) literally anything to help you understand. Also review the other topics - don’t just forget about them - you’ll just dedicate more time to weaker areas. Then review that weaker topic in 3 days, 7 days and 14 days. Another big tip is to do PAST PAPERS , but more so than just doing them and MARK them and find out what marks you lost out on. Make a flashcard on it and then copy the question down with the answer onto a piece of paper and next time you go to revise that topic do all the questions on that piece of paper. Make you do the papers timed as well , and try and do it in the same environment as exams will be in (no distractions like phones and loud noises - go to a library if you have loud siblings). Most importantly have a balance, workout, sleep, watch shows - have a life outside studying!!!!
Reply 5
Yes you may also qualify for contexual offer so lower grades, take a look into it

Oxford doesn’t make contextual offers , they just look at context when shortlisting candidates for med interviews
Reply 6
Original post by VG_Precious
I am a secondary school student in the UK, please tell me how did u get those 9 & 8s?

Even in y11 mocks i got a few 5s and 6s - so it’s most definitely possible with dedication, and a good work ethic. If you haven’t already make your notes or flashcards now before summer ends for topics you’re already covered. You might not be able to finish all your notes before summer but if you start now- you’ll definitely get further than if you start later on. Make sure you have all of your notes/resources made for around Spring time and that’s when the real work begins. Go through the specification and find areas of weakness and be critical (even if you don’t understand a tiny aspect of it - write it DOWN). Then go through that list and familiarise yourself with it - watch videos, use your CGP revision guide, use online resources (e.g. sciencehive, savemyexams) literally anything to help you understand. Also review the other topics - don’t just forget about them - you’ll just dedicate more time to weaker areas. Then review that weaker topic in 3 days, 7 days and 14 days. Another big tip is to do PAST PAPERS , but more so than just doing them and MARK them and find out what marks you lost out on. Make a flashcard on it and then copy the question down with the answer onto a piece of paper and next time you go to revise that topic do all the questions on that piece of paper. Make you do the papers timed as well , and try and do it in the same environment as exams will be in (no distractions like phones and loud noises - go to a library if you have loud siblings). Most importantly have a balance, workout, sleep, watch shows - have a life outside studying!!!!
Reply 7
Hi fellow Ox Med applicant!
Original post by Anonymous #1

What A levels did you take and also did you get into med? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending