The Student Room Group

No BMAT from 2024/25 : Reforms to Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing from 2024

Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing is to withdraw from running a series of university admissions exams with effect from 2024-5. This includes BMAT (medicine), ENGAA (engineering), NSAA (natural sciences) and TMUA (mathematical skills) tests.

The bespoke tests are operationally unsustainable over the medium term, given their significant complexity and the need to deliver them affordably to students and higher education institutions.

For the academic year 2024/25 onwards, the seven UK medical schools that use BMAT tests as part of their admissions process (Brighton and Sussex, Imperial, Lancaster, UCL, Cambridge, Leeds and Oxford) as well as medical and healthcare schools in other countries will put alternative arrangements in place.

There will be no change for next academic year's entry system, as Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing services will continue for 2023. Similarly, this year’s admissions tests and results remain unaffected.

A spokesperson for Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing said:
“Our priority is to ensure no disruption to students and give higher education providers plenty of time to put alternate options in place. The bespoke and intensely manual delivery of these complex high-stakes tests is operationally and financially unsustainable in the medium to long-term.”

To minimise disruption, the University of Cambridge is considering alternatives. ENGAA (engineering), NSAA (natural sciences) and TMUA are currently used for pre-interview selection to some courses at the University.

A spokesperson for the University of Cambridge said:
"There will be no immediate change to students this year or in 2023, and all changes from 2024 onwards will be clearly communicated in advance. Our focus is on a smooth transition to an alternative arrangement. We are constantly working to ensure that admissions are fair and transparent and we will continue to strengthen our efforts to encourage students from all backgrounds to apply for and secure places at Cambridge."

https://www.admissionstesting.org/news/view/reforms-to-cambridge-assessment-admissions-testing-from-2024/
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by Doones
Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing is to withdraw from running a series of university admissions exams with effect from 2024-5. This includes BMAT (medicine), ENGAA (engineering), NSAA (natural sciences) and TMUA (mathematical skills) tests.

The bespoke tests are operationally unsustainable over the medium term, given their significant complexity and the need to deliver them affordably to students and higher education institutions.

For the academic year 2024/25 onwards, the seven UK medical schools that use BMAT tests as part of their admissions process (Brighton and Sussex, Imperial, Lancaster, UCL, Cambridge, Leeds and Oxford) as well as medical and healthcare schools in other countries will put alternative arrangements in place.

There will be no change for next academic year's entry system, as Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing services will continue for 2023. Similarly, this year’s admissions tests and results remain unaffected.

“Our priority is to ensure no disruption to students and give higher education providers plenty of time to put alternate options in place. The bespoke and intensely manual delivery of these complex high-stakes tests is operationally and financially unsustainable in the medium to long-term.”

To minimise disruption, the University of Cambridge is considering alternatives. ENGAA (engineering), NSAA (natural sciences) and TMUA are currently used for pre-interview selection to some courses at the University.

"There will be no immediate change to students this year or in 2023, and all changes from 2024 onwards will be clearly communicated in advance. Our focus is on a smooth transition to an alternative arrangement. We are constantly working to ensure that admissions are fair and transparent and we will continue to strengthen our efforts to encourage students from all backgrounds to apply for and secure places at Cambridge."

https://www.admissionstesting.org/news/view/reforms-to-cambridge-assessment-admissions-testing-from-2024/

wow, thats a turn-up for the books! thank you for posting this
Thanks for posting this! That's really interesting and I wasn't aware...
Original post by Doones

It’s a privilege for us that you have come back to TSR to point this out.

My younger son has already mentioned this to me a few days ago, and I have just read the article that you have printed out in full.

What I feel the students applying in 2024 need is some sample material to practise with. Yes they say they will let us know in good time. However, I hope this will not be too little, too late.

Heaven knows, it is stressful enough applying to Oxbridge medicine but Cambridge admissions being all mysterious about it, telling us the bmat is being scrapped and not giving any hints at all at even what type of questions there will be, never mind sample questions, makes me feel a bit uneasy.

The bmat results largely determine whether or not an applicant receives an Oxford interview, so detailed information is even more important.

I have just posted my concerns on the Cambridge thread, but not confident I will receive any response.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by rrr333

thanks!

Discussion of off site social media, as well as giving email addresses, is against TSR rules
Reply 6
Original post by Oxford Mum
It’s a privilege for us that you have come back to TSR to point this out.

My younger son has already mentioned this to me a few days ago, and I have just read the article that you have printed out in full.

What I feel the students applying in 2024 need is some sample material to practise with. Yes they say they will let us know in good time. However, I hope this will not be too little, too late.

Heaven knows, it is stressful enough applying to Oxbridge medicine but Cambridge admissions being all mysterious about it, telling us the bmat is being scrapped and not giving any hints at all at even what type of questions there will be, never mind sample questions, makes me feel a bit uneasy.

The bmat results largely determine whether or not an applicant receives an Oxford interview, so detailed information is even more important.

I have just posted my concerns on the Cambridge thread, but not confident I will receive any response.

As an applicant, I most definitely agree with you on that. I figure now is an appropriate time to send out some sample material for us to practise with.
Hello just to clarify, as BMAT is being scrapped does that mean students who are currently in year 11 will not be sitting it?
Reply 8
Original post by Frizzle16523
Hello just to clarify, as BMAT is being scrapped does that mean students who are currently in year 11 will not be sitting it?

That's correct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending