The Student Room Group

Unheralded Bands

What bands do you think are unheralded and deserve more praise and attention? My pick would be TrustCompany-I doubt many people have heard of them but in my estimation they are the greatest unheralded band I've ever heard, well either them or Staind-but at least Staind had a few songs that charted in the UK back in the early 00s.
Reply 1
Both are bang average for my money. I saw TrustCo years ago and they were pretty grim live, maybe they've got better in the 15 years or so since. Staind for me had one good record and even that is dated now. Not even the best of nu metal, much less the best band.

I find it hard to answer these questions because I don't really know how to apply the criteria. There's loads of obscure stuff I love but do I think they should be bigger, I dunno, probably not for most of them because my tastes are in some ways quite obscure.
Original post by gjd800
Both are bang average for my money. I saw TrustCo years ago and they were pretty grim live, maybe they've got better in the 15 years or so since. Staind for me had one good record and even that is dated now. Not even the best of nu metal, much less the best band.

I find it hard to answer these questions because I don't really know how to apply the criteria. There's loads of obscure stuff I love but do I think they should be bigger, I dunno, probably not for most of them because my tastes are in some ways quite obscure.

I'm aware you aren't a big fan of Staind from a previous post-what in particular don't you find riveting about them or TrustCompany?
My pick would be The Gaslight Anthem. I know they’re not exactly an unknown band and they’ve had a couple of top 10 albums but they’ve never really had the success that their songwriting ability would suggest.

If only The ‘59 Sound had been released about 5 years earlier things could’ve been a lot different but we’ll never know. 🙁
Reply 4
Original post by IanDangerously
My pick would be The Gaslight Anthem. I know they’re not exactly an unknown band and they’ve had a couple of top 10 albums but they’ve never really had the success that their songwriting ability would suggest.

If only The ‘59 Sound had been released about 5 years earlier things could’ve been a lot different but we’ll never know. 🙁

It's strange because they are band that everyone knows when you mention them, but for whatever reason aren't really huge.

Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I'm aware you aren't a big fan of Staind from a previous post-what in particular don't you find riveting about them or TrustCompany?

They're just average bands who aren't (or weren't, at least) very good live. Beyond that, I'm not sure tastes are something that can be satisfactorily explained.
Reply 5
incidentally, the new staind record isn't terrible
Original post by gjd800
incidentally, the new staind record isn't terrible

You mean Here and Now? Or are you referring to Lowest In Me?
Reply 7
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
You mean Here and Now? Or are you referring to Lowest In Me?

Confessions of the Fallen, out last month
Original post by gjd800
Confessions of the Fallen, out last month

Ahh right meant the album as a whole not a specific single.

Quick Reply

Latest