The Student Room Group

Calculator for physics

My dc is about to start a physics BSc in NTU. Can anyone please advise what calculator they need? Thanks
Original post by Dopey246
My dc is about to start a physics BSc in NTU. Can anyone please advise what calculator they need? Thanks

Typically whatever they used at A level is fine, you tend to do anything heavy duty on a laptop / PC rather than a calulator. It might also be good to wait until they start the course so they can find out what calculator is allowed in exams, then get one of those so they are very familiar with it come exam time.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Typically whatever they used at A level is fine, you tend to do anything heavy duty on a laptop / PC rather than a calulator. It might also be good to wait until they start the course so they can find out what calculator is allowed in exams, then get one of those so they are very familiar with it come exam time.

Thanks,

My younger child is about to start 6th form so I was hoping to pass the calculator used for a levels on to them. Looks like my plan may not work
Reply 3
Original post by Dopey246
Thanks,

My younger child is about to start 6th form so I was hoping to pass the calculator used for a levels on to them. Looks like my plan may not work

I don't think NTU publishes an allowed calculator list for physics but Exeter (for example) does and they're nothing special. Casio FX83 and FX85 are £11 & £12 in ASDA.

fwiw The FX991ex (ASDA £18) which is quite standard for A level these days is a forbidden calculator at Exeter

Quick Reply

Latest