The Student Room Group

Entry requirements for Physics and Astrophysics degree

Can I enter the degree with a HND Mechanical engineering with all the units passed with a distinction?

Previous to this I did a level 3 advanced diploma in engineering and passed with a DDM (including the maths unit at distinction level).

Would that be enough to enter course?
It's an unusual background for it so you'd really need to contact course providers directly to find out. It may or may not be suitable.

Note that with an HND you probably will not be entitled to full funding from SFE for a new course starting in first year, for full time study (part-time study is calculated separately so it is probably not a problem for that, although there are very few part-time physics courses I can think of).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
It's an unusual background for it so you'd really need to contact course providers directly to find out. It may or may not be suitable.

Note that with an HND you probably will not be entitled to full funding from SFE for a new course starting in first year, for full time study (part-time study is calculated separately so it is probably not a problem for that, although there are very few part-time physics courses I can think of).

I am pretty sure I can apply for student loans as usual for a degree with a HND now you added me an extra worry.

Do you think I will benefit from sitting A-level physics? If I study it independently and take the exam in June alongside other physics students?

I’ve had a look through the content of A-Level physics and is nothing difficult in fact I know 90 percent of the content already. (obviously I have higher education in Engineering and I am 20 would probably struggle if I was 16 doing it with no prior knowledge). Problem is I don’t know how I would write that in my UCAS applications but I’ll find a way.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Harvir1904
I am pretty sure I can apply for student loans as usual for a degree with a HND now you added me an extra worry.

Do you think I will benefit from sitting A-level physics? If I study it independently and take the exam in June alongside other physics students?

I’ve had a look through the content of A-Level physics and is nothing difficult in fact I know 90 percent of the content already. (obviously I have higher education in Engineering and I am 20 would probably struggle if I was 16 doing it with no prior knowledge). Problem is I don’t know how I would write that in my UCAS applications but I’ll find a way.

In terms of the student finance, for full time study you only get funding equal to:

length of (new) degree, + 1 year, - number of years of prior study in higher education. An HND counts towards the latter and usually is 2, so a new 3 year BSc would give you funding entitlement of (assuming you didn't change course or have any repeat years before):

3 + 1 -2 = 2 years of funding, so you would need to self-fund tuition fees for the first year.

This is something you really need to know with absolute certainty how it would work, because the way SFE calculates your funding is backwards from the end of the degree, so effectively if you have any years you would need to self fund, they would be the first year(s) in the new course, not the last ones. However you should still be entitled to a maintenance loan.

However as stated previously this is for full time study; part-time study has a separate calculation and prior full time study is not considered normally. However the only part-time physics degrees I know of are at the OU (where you won't get a maintenance loan) and UCLan.

In terms of A-level Physics the major barrier is that unis normally require those doing science A-levels to take the science endorsement (practicals), which is extremely expensive (usually around £1000 per science) for independent students. Usually if you haven't done the relevant science A-levels and are looking to do a science degree as a mature student it's more practical to look at courses with a foundation year due to the financial constraints...but given your HND and the potential limitations of funding from SFE this may not be a much better solution.

In any event in terms of meeting subject requirements as advised previously, you should just contact the unis directly to see if they will consider your qualifications to meet the subject requirements for that degree.
Reply 4
In terms of the student finance, for full time study you only get funding equal to:

length of (new) degree, + 1 year, - number of years of prior study in higher education. An HND counts towards the latter and usually is 2, so a new 3 year BSc would give you funding entitlement of (assuming you didn't change course or have any repeat years before):

3 + 1 -2 = 2 years of funding, so you would need to self-fund tuition fees for the first year.

This is something you really need to know with absolute certainty how it would work, because the way SFE calculates your funding is backwards from the end of the degree, so effectively if you have any years you would need to self fund, they would be the first year(s) in the new course, not the last ones. However you should still be entitled to a maintenance loan.

However as stated previously this is for full time study; part-time study has a separate calculation and prior full time study is not considered normally. However the only part-time physics degrees I know of are at the OU (where you won't get a maintenance loan) and UCLan.

In terms of A-level Physics the major barrier is that unis normally require those doing science A-levels to take the science endorsement (practicals), which is extremely expensive (usually around £1000 per science) for independent students. Usually if you haven't done the relevant science A-levels and are looking to do a science degree as a mature student it's more practical to look at courses with a foundation year due to the financial constraints...but given your HND and the potential limitations of funding from SFE this may not be a much better solution.

In any event in terms of meeting subject requirements as advised previously, you should just contact the unis directly to see if they will consider your qualifications to meet the subject requirements for that degree.

Okay thank you for the info you have been very helpful I don’t know why I wasn’t notified of your last message.

Can you recommend me a physics course from the Open University or alike in physics that would be equivalent or sort of equivalent as A-level physics? I have contacted some universities and they say I can enter the course and some say I need something in physics.

So if you know of any course that could help me it would be much appreciated.
Okay thank you for the info you have been very helpful I don’t know why I wasn’t notified of your last message.

Can you recommend me a physics course from the Open University or alike in physics that would be equivalent or sort of equivalent as A-level physics? I have contacted some universities and they say I can enter the course and some say I need something in physics.

So if you know of any course that could help me it would be much appreciated.

For OU modules it would really be at the discretion of the accepting uni. Probably if they want maths and physics at A-level they would want to see you do e.g. MST 124 + MST 125, maybe MST 224, for the physics side not really sure - probably the second year module S217? But as above it's really going to be a case by case matter so best to contact unis to find out.
Reply 6
For OU modules it would really be at the discretion of the accepting uni. Probably if they want maths and physics at A-level they would want to see you do e.g. MST 124 + MST 125, maybe MST 224, for the physics side not really sure - probably the second year module S217? But as above it's really going to be a case by case matter so best to contact unis to find out.

Is all fine i have decided to take physics a level just the exam. Will probably cost me £400 but i will be able to enter physics and astrophysics course as I want to do so it will be the good outcome in the end.
Is all fine i have decided to take physics a level just the exam. Will probably cost me £400 but i will be able to enter physics and astrophysics course as I want to do so it will be the good outcome in the end.

You need to check that the universities you want to apply to don't require the science endorsement (practicals). Most do require it if you're taking a science A-level (and this is what is very expensive).
Reply 8
You need to check that the universities you want to apply to don't require the science endorsement (practicals). Most do require it if you're taking a science A-level (and this is what is very expensive).

I will get it checked don’t worry. Thanks for replying and all the info, you were very helpful.
I will get it checked don’t worry. Thanks for replying and all the info, you were very helpful.

Glad to help, best of luck! :smile:

Also remember part-time courses you can potentially get full funding for still so well worth looking into!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending