The Student Room Group

Using the Graphical Calculator (CASIO FX-CG50) for A Level Physics (OCR A)

Hey Guys,

I'm about to go into Year 12 to study Maths, Physics, and Further Maths in my Sixth form. During the open day, my teacher recommended that I get the graphical calculator for Maths and Further maths due to its functionality. Will I also be allowed to use it in A Level Physics, or am I only meant to use the scientific calculator? My exam board for Physics is OCR A
Original post by LQMN
Hey Guys,

I'm about to go into Year 12 to study Maths, Physics, and Further Maths in my Sixth form. During the open day, my teacher recommended that I get the graphical calculator for Maths and Further maths due to its functionality. Will I also be allowed to use it in A Level Physics, or am I only meant to use the scientific calculator? My exam board for Physics is OCR A

Hmm not sure you can use the graphical one for physics A-level but you might be fine. Check with the exam board website, there is a section on accepted calculators
Reply 2
Original post by LQMN
Hey Guys,

All subjects and exam boards follow the same JCQ regulations:

So if this graphical calculator is allowed for maths then it will be allowed for physics. Most of the extra functions probably won't be useful for physics though.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!
Original post by LQMN
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!

It will be asked to be put into exam mode, which disables most of the functions that can be exploited in any way, so that it will be like a normal scientific calculator. As long as u aren't trying to actively cheat in anyway, it'll be fine, just like a normal calculator.
Original post by Ignorabimus
It will be asked to be put into exam mode, which disables most of the functions that can be exploited in any way, so that it will be like a normal scientific calculator. As long as u aren't trying to actively cheat in anyway, it'll be fine, just like a normal calculator.

Well it won't be like a scientific calculator because you'll be able to use all the graphjng functions and even the 3d graphing add in so you can check your answers which I imagine is useful for calculus to help you visualise the problem but I mean if your good enough you'll just do that in your head anyway

Quick Reply

Latest