The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Confusion selecting a university

Hi. I am an international student and i currently hold offers from the university of manchester and the university of auckland. However, i recently decided to switch majors. The uni of manchester has not allowed me to do so but auckland has, UoM has a greater ranking and course than UoA but it also has greater tuition fees. however to attend UoA i would have to wait 6 months. Should i wait and attend UoA or should i go to UoM with the hope that they will allow me to change majors once i am in the uni?
Reply 1
They won't let you change once you're there. A no is a no whether you're on campus or not.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
They won't let you change once you're there. A no is a no whether you're on campus or not.

I mean it is technically possible to change after 1st year, I've seen people change courses at UoM but it is VERY difficult at a point where it is basically impossible, especially if you want to change from one department to another (e.g. switching MechEng to AeroEng would be easier as they are under the same MACE department, but from MechEng to Math or Politics would be very very difficult because you are going from the MACE department to the Math department or Social Science department).
Reply 3
Original post by INCOGN170
I mean it is technically possible to change after 1st year, I've seen people change courses at UoM but it is VERY difficult at a point where it is basically impossible, especially if you want to change from one department to another (e.g. switching MechEng to AeroEng would be easier as they are under the same MACE department, but from MechEng to Math or Politics would be very very difficult because you are going from the MACE department to the Math department or Social Science department).

With respect, this is my job. The University have already said no, and this is the key point. it matters not how often you've seen it, or even how often I've seen it, and I deal with this stuff every day: the student has already been told no.

It thus matters not one jot whether they are on campus or not. A 'no' is a 'no'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending