The Student Room Group

UCAS extra activities

Hi,
I've got the extra activities section left to complete on ucas. But, I'm a bit confused on what to include here. I've done some uni masteclasses (one day), an internship at a research institute for my subject, and am currently doing a free MOOC.

Can I put any of these activities here? Or is this section more for wider participation schemes, or underpriviledged/minority access schemes?I'm a bit unsure cos I saw some people say all the providers that you can select from are for wider participation programmes, or is this not true and it can be anything related to ur subject?

Also, some of the activities i've done, I cant find the name of the provider from the drop down and can't select an 'other' option either. Any advice is great. Thanks.
Original post by happygirl02
Hi,
I've got the extra activities section left to complete on ucas. But, I'm a bit confused on what to include here. I've done some uni masteclasses (one day), an internship at a research institute for my subject, and am currently doing a free MOOC.

Can I put any of these activities here? Or is this section more for wider participation schemes, or underpriviledged/minority access schemes?I'm a bit unsure cos I saw some people say all the providers that you can select from are for wider participation programmes, or is this not true and it can be anything related to ur subject?

Also, some of the activities i've done, I cant find the name of the provider from the drop down and can't select an 'other' option either. Any advice is great. Thanks.

The extra activities section on UCA is for outreach programmes run by universities. It's not there for you to put down every activity you've done to support your application. So if you've done an outreach programme run by a university, you put that there, else you leave it blank.

University masterclasses do belong in the extra activities section (I think) but the internship and MOOC don't belong there. Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
The extra activities section on UCA is for outreach programmes run by universities. It's not there for you to put down every activity you've done to support your application. So if you've done an outreach programme run by a university, you put that there, else you leave it blank.

University masterclasses do belong in the extra activities section (I think) but the internship and MOOC don't belong there. Hope that helps!

Hi, Thank you so much for your response!
Just wanted to clarify is this section could include an outreach programme by an organisation that's not a university (such as a sixth form programme from Institute of Economic Affairs), or if this is very strictly reserved for uni outreach programmes.

Also, would attending a subject taster lecture as part of a uni shadowing experience at a university count? Thanks!
Original post by happygirl02
Hi, Thank you so much for your response!
Just wanted to clarify is this section could include an outreach programme by an organisation that's not a university (such as a sixth form programme from Institute of Economic Affairs), or if this is very strictly reserved for uni outreach programmes.

Also, would attending a subject taster lecture as part of a uni shadowing experience at a university count? Thanks!

Strictly university programmes.

Attending a subject taster lecture probably doesn't count as an outreach programme since you did it as part of a work shadowing experience. It might have been run by a universiry but it was work experience, not an outreach programme. Probably a good idea to mention it in your personal statement if you found the experience meaningful in some way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending