The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Official University of Essex freshers 2023 chat

Hello and welcome to all the University of Essex Freshers of 2023! :hello:

You made it through your exams, results day has been and gone, and now you finally know where you’ll be headed in just a few weeks! :thumbsup:

This is a place where you can introduce yourself, meet other students who’ll be joining you at university, and make a few friends even before you arrive! :yeah:

So to kick off, why not introduce yourself with:
What course you’ll be studying
What you like doing in your spare time
What you’re most looking forward to about studying at University of Essex

Only share as much information as you wish.
In this forum, you can post anonymously if you tick the box at the bottom. :smile:

Finally, a few useful threads you might want to take a look at to help you prepare:
Remember to update your student finance application - The Student Room

Good luck everyone and a massive WELL DONE for everything you have achieved!
Hello all,

Do let us know if you have any questions at all - we are happy to help out!

Some subjects our student and official reps have studied or are studying are: Sociology, Criminology, Economics, and Biomedical Science 😊✨🎓

As a student I was part of the Cheerleading team and took part in competitions across the country, as well as this I like going to the gym and reading fiction books 📚😁

Well done everyone and we look forward to having you join us in October!!

Essex Official Rep - Morgan 😎
(edited 8 months ago)
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Perhaps a dumb question but as a incoming international student who will be a postgrad would I be considered a "fresher" or is that reserved for 1st years?
Original post by DylanIreland
Perhaps a dumb question but as a incoming international student who will be a postgrad would I be considered a "fresher" or is that reserved for 1st years?

Hey Dylan ☺️

I keep finding questions from you in different threads! lol

Of course you'll still be a fresher, it's for everyone in their first year at Essex, no matter what year of study that is or how old you are. Everyone is welcome! And I hope you'll check out some of the clubs and societies, there's something for everyone.

You get a silver gym membership included in your accommodation package and if sports and fitness are your thing then we've got load of clubs and fitness classes you could join in with. There's the option to play for fun, or to compete with the Essex Blades & Rebels. There'll be taster sessions you can sign up for and free merch and stationery on the stalls in welcome week. Just have a wander and check the place out.

If it's your first time visiting the campus then there will be students giving campus tours, so join in and be sure to visit the lakes and the grounds behind the student centre and 24 hour Library. Essex Business School is also a great study spot at the north end of campus closer to your accommodation

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 4
Original post by Evil Homer
Hello and welcome to all the University of Essex Freshers of 2023! :hello:

You made it through your exams, results day has been and gone, and now you finally know where you’ll be headed in just a few weeks! :thumbsup:

This is a place where you can introduce yourself, meet other students who’ll be joining you at university, and make a few friends even before you arrive! :yeah:

So to kick off, why not introduce yourself with:
What course you’ll be studying
What you like doing in your spare time
What you’re most looking forward to about studying at University of Essex

Only share as much information as you wish.
In this forum, you can post anonymously if you tick the box at the bottom. :smile:

Finally, a few useful threads you might want to take a look at to help you prepare:
Remember to update your student finance application - The Student Room

Good luck everyone and a massive WELL DONE for everything you have achieved!

hiiiiiiii
Original post by Umdisjs
hiiiiiiii

Hey,

Can we help you with anything! 😁😁

Essex Official Rep - Morgan.
Hello

Is anyone travelling from Dubai to Essex Colchester by end of Sep.

Please reply lets connect

Thanks
Hello House

Can anyone tell me Heathrow airport or Stanted airport is better for first timers to UK?
If I choose the airport facility by Essex University, is it available till the last time slot?
I have heard Heathrow airport takes time to clear immigration for first time arrivals, then what if I miss the time slot I choose from the University transport slot?
Please reply
Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hello House

Can anyone tell me Heathrow airport or Stanted airport is better for first timers to UK?
If I choose the airport facility by Essex University, is it available till the last time slot?
I have heard Heathrow airport takes time to clear immigration for first time arrivals, then what if I miss the time slot I choose from the University transport slot?
Please reply
Thanks

Hiya 👋

I replied on this thread for you https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7277618&page=5#post98791001

Best wishes
Reply 9
Hey everyone! I'm Tasha, I'm 30 and a single parent! I was completely in shock after being declined twice. Aparently writing a long letter explaining my lack of qualifications due to disability/Ill health making me me miss school and a good personal statment does wonder! I've been accepted onto foundation year of biomed! Would love to meet others studying a foundation year of any kind but especially science related subjects. I will be computing from chelmsford and havnt been in proper education since secondary school so very worried but excited! Hoping you don't all make me feel ancient as I quite like believing I'm still young 🤣
Original post by Tashacogz
Hey everyone! I'm Tasha, I'm 30 and a single parent! I was completely in shock after being declined twice. Aparently writing a long letter explaining my lack of qualifications due to disability/Ill health making me me miss school and a good personal statment does wonder! I've been accepted onto foundation year of biomed! Would love to meet others studying a foundation year of any kind but especially science related subjects. I will be computing from chelmsford and havnt been in proper education since secondary school so very worried but excited! Hoping you don't all make me feel ancient as I quite like believing I'm still young 🤣

Hi Tasha 👋

Congrats on getting accepted for biomed! Good luck for your foundation year, it's a great option for those that might have been out of education for a while. I did an access course at college instead of a foundation year but I also do biomed as a mature student 🧫🔬🥼 I do Applied Biomed. Going into my placement year soon, then I'll be back to complete my final year of the degree next year.

I hope you get a chance to meet others doing your foundation year so you can make some friends while you're here. Definitely come to welcome week and the freshers fair as it's for everyone. Please don't feel like you're too old to join in with things and it's a great opportunity to get used to the campus and see what societies you could get involved with. Some societies do activities during the day not always in the evenings so it can fit in around your life and commute. Also being a part of society group chats is a good support network even if you don't have time to attend activities. Check out the Women in STEM society for sure!

Best wishes,
hey,

if you need contraception, morning after pill, STI testing, STI treatment, PrEP, PEP, or pregnancy testing, you can visit Brook Southend -- it's on the first floor of The Victoria Shopping Centre, in the high street. it's free for everyone living, working or studying in Southend, including uni students and regardless of immigration status.you can call them on 0330 135 5916, book online at sxt.health/uk, or visit their website at sexualhealthsouthend.co.uk.

any questions and you can use the webchat service on their website, available during the week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending