The Student Room Group

Four Subjects important for Oxford?

Hey guys, I'm a student going into Year 12 next year! Hoping for good GCSE Results tomorrow :smile:
However we also have to pick our options tomorrow, and I'm really struggling because outside of Maths and Further Maths I genuinely dislike all the other subjects (apart from Psychology and Sociology but I've heard that these subjects aren't great for uni applications) :frown:
However I think I'm going to have to go through with Physics because it is the most closely linked A-Level, but I was wondering whether Oxford prefer it if you take more A-Levels or not?
(And also whether Oxford would prefer Physics over other subjects, considering I am probably going to take a Maths degree).
Reply 1
Hope that your GCSE results went well. Oxford don’t favour 4 A levels, three is fine. Physics would probably be preferred as a third for a Maths application but psychology is a strong choice and well respected. To be honest, Oxford want you to be really good at Maths and be able to fulfill your offer with your other A levels. Good luck

PS
My daughter is studying Maths at Oxford and she took English lit at A level ( as well as maths and further maths )
Absolutely not. Oxford offers comprise only 3 full A levels and doing a fourth gives you no advantage at all and could actually make your grades for the other 3 suffer.
Original post by JHaria
Hey guys, I'm a student going into Year 12 next year! Hoping for good GCSE Results tomorrow :smile:
However we also have to pick our options tomorrow, and I'm really struggling because outside of Maths and Further Maths I genuinely dislike all the other subjects (apart from Psychology and Sociology but I've heard that these subjects aren't great for uni applications) :frown:
However I think I'm going to have to go through with Physics because it is the most closely linked A-Level, but I was wondering whether Oxford prefer it if you take more A-Levels or not?
(And also whether Oxford would prefer Physics over other subjects, considering I am probably going to take a Maths degree).

Don't think physics is an implicit requirement (certainly it's not an explicit one), I think it's just that a lot of people who are good at maths also tend to do well at physics and thus take it to A-level. There are some parts of the course where some physics background may be useful I believe but I don't think it's necessarily assumed, and I think most of those are optional elements anyway (or sufficiently more advanced/different from A-level Physics that I doubt a background in it or not is likely to make a huge difference in reality).

Psychology or sociology (or both, if you wished) would almost certainly be fine I think.
(edited 8 months ago)
^ Correct. The admissions requirements only specify A* in maths (compulsory), A* in further maths (if taken) and the third subject is unspecified so can presumably be anything.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Psychology or sociology (or both, if you wished) would almost certainly be fine I think.

I concur with this, and say this as an Oxford maths tutor and former admissions coordinator. Physics is not recommended nor required as a third A-level. If you like and want to take Psychology then do that. Mainly it's important you be happy (if challenged) in your studies. This is not independent of the need to make your grades - you're much more likely to do well in something you're interested in.

The only possible downside is that you wouldn't have the A-levels to do an engineering or physics degree, but you seem fairly certain that's not something you're interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending