The Student Room Group

Which A-Level combination is strongest for Oxbridge Law?

Hi,
I'm a high-aspiring Y11 student whose ultimate aim is to apply to Oxbridge for Law in future. However, I'm not entirely sure on what A-Level combination is the strongest out of these:

Maths, History and Politics
Maths, History and Classic Civilisation

(Might do an Law-related EPQ too but obviously unsure yet of the workload etc.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
if your school offers law as an alevel that would be good but im assuming it doesnt so 100% history and politics is important and id say the 3rd one can be whatever u want - probably something relevant tho like philosphy and ethics or english lit
Either is fine. Law doesn't have subject requirements and doesn't have preferences beyond ideally doing at least two traditionally academic subjects. All of your subjects in both options are traditionally academic so it's fine.
Reply 3
Original post by jennaa21
if your school offers law as an alevel that would be good but im assuming it doesnt so 100% history and politics is important and id say the 3rd one can be whatever u want - probably something relevant tho like philosphy and ethics or english lit

Law isn't needed or even suggested.
Original post by Muttley79

i know, calm down! my school offers law as a subject so it would be useful for people applying to law...
Reply 5
In Oxford or Cambridge for a law course you can do any A level subject so I suggest do the subjects you are strongest at. Maths is a very valuable A level so if you are a passionate and find it easy then that would be a good subject to choose. An essay writing subject like History is good to choose as it helps you build the skill of an undergraduate level. If your collage or school offers Law that would be a good subject to choose too!
Reply 6
i know,

So why suggest it - it's a poor choice

Many unis prefer students NOT to have taken it.
Original post by artful_lounger
Either is fine. Law doesn't have subject requirements and doesn't have preferences beyond ideally doing at least two traditionally academic subjects. All of your subjects in both options are traditionally academic so it's fine.

I agree.
Basically whichever you think you will enjoy most and get the best grades in.
Reply 8
Original post by elliotc2308
Hi,
I'm a high-aspiring Y11 student whose ultimate aim is to apply to Oxbridge for Law in future. However, I'm not entirely sure on what A-Level combination is the strongest out of these:

Maths, History and Politics
Maths, History and Classic Civilisation

(Might do an Law-related EPQ too but obviously unsure yet of the workload etc.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think the first three is the better choice ... but choose subjects you'll enjoy
Either, I do Oxford law and I did maths, history and French (plus a law related EPQ) so I had a very similar combination to you, though potentially politics might the stronger choice as history and classical civilisation could be quite similar and you want to show off a broader range of skills
So why suggest it - it's a poor choice

Many unis prefer students NOT to have taken it.

this is an open forum, i can suggest what i like. yes it's obviously a subject that is not required at a-levels but if you want to study law at uni anyways why not expand your knowledge.
and i'll tell you to calm down again, you were the one who immediately responded to me with attitude

They were entirely factual with their first response. Where did you pick up attitude from this?

Original post by Admit-One
They were entirely factual with their first response. Where did you pick up attitude from this?

bc his statement aligns with many subjects, maths isnt needed or even suggested either? anyways i was initially responding to the thread makers question so im not sure why he had to add his input
From Oxford’s own faculty of law FAQ’s:

“Should I study any particular subjects before applying?

At least a C grade in GCSE Mathematics (or equivalent) is normally required. If you are applying for one of the four year Law with Law Studies in Europe courses (other than the Law with European Law course) then you will need to show you have the necessary language skills: for further details see Question 4 of the FAQs on the four year courses. Otherwise your choice of subjects is your own, though please note that General Studies is not accepted. Strictly academic subjects matter most. Both arts and sciences are helpful. Studying A-Level or AS Law confers no particular advantage or disadvantage and we are happy to receive applications from those who are studying for such qualifications in law. When Oxford colleges are comparing A-level results and predictions they may attach reduced importance to General Studies.”

https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/undergraduate-admissions-faqs-ba-jurisprudence

So I have to agree fully with Muttley79 on this one as they have correctly identified that law itself doesn’t confer any real advantage. The OP should pick three subjects they feel they will do well in (the first combination they suggested sounds to be the stronger combination overall).
Original post by TypicalNerd
From Oxford’s own faculty of law FAQ’s:

“Should I study any particular subjects before applying?

At least a C grade in GCSE Mathematics (or equivalent) is normally required. If you are applying for one of the four year Law with Law Studies in Europe courses (other than the Law with European Law course) then you will need to show you have the necessary language skills: for further details see Question 4 of the FAQs on the four year courses. Otherwise your choice of subjects is your own, though please note that General Studies is not accepted. Strictly academic subjects matter most. Both arts and sciences are helpful. Studying A-Level or AS Law confers no particular advantage or disadvantage and we are happy to receive applications from those who are studying for such qualifications in law. When Oxford colleges are comparing A-level results and predictions they may attach reduced importance to General Studies.”

https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/undergraduate-admissions-faqs-ba-jurisprudence

So I have to agree fully with Muttley79 on this one as they have correctly identified that law itself doesn’t confer any real advantage. The OP should pick three subjects they feel they will do well in (the first combination they suggested sounds to be the stronger combination overall).

i never said it offers a particular advantage though. im just saying if you have that alevel accessible to you, and you want to do law in the future anyways, why not consider it because it covers someone of the degree level areas

it doesnt matter anyways because its up to the person who started this thread which subjects they take
bc his statement aligns with many subjects, maths isnt needed or even suggested either? anyways i was initially responding to the thread makers question so im not sure why he had to add his input

i never said it offers a particular advantage though. im just saying if you have that alevel accessible to you, and you want to do law in the future anyways, why not consider it because it covers someone of the degree level areas

it doesnt matter anyways because its up to the person who started this thread which subjects they take

They were just pointing out that Law might not automatically be the best choice. (You said “it would be good”, it may or may not depending on their circumstances.)

No one is attacking you or getting wound up about your advice. But it’s valid to say the OP might be better served by taking a subject they’ll get the best grade in, (especially for maximising their chances at Oxbridge).

I honestly don’t think anyone would have blinked twice about your post had you not repeatedly told someone who wasn’t being that animated to calm down.
They were just pointing out that Law might not automatically be the best choice. (You said “it would be good”, it may or may not depending on their circumstances.)

No one is attacking you or getting wound up about your advice. But it’s valid to say the OP might be better served by taking a subject they’ll get the best grade in, (especially for maximising their chances at Oxbridge).

I honestly don’t think anyone would have blinked twice about your post had you not repeatedly told someone who wasn’t being that animated to calm down.

as mentioned, i was talking to the thread starter, thats why i told the other person to calm down.

please stop @'ing me now
(edited 6 months ago)
People have a right to point out if replies are potentially misleading.

In any case, we are retreading the same ground and the official admissions guidance has been posted above.

Best of luck to the thread starter.
(edited 6 months ago)
People have a right to point out if replies are potentially misleading.

In any case, we are retreading the same ground and the official admissions guidance has been posted above.

Best of luck to the thread starter.

:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest