The Student Room Group

Do unis care if you do 4 a levels?

Do top universities care of you do 4 a levels or 3 a levels and an As. As I plan on doing an AS in chemistry. I am taking maths, further maths and physics and want to do mathematics and computer science
I am doing 4 a-levels but my understanding is that top universities prefer if you do 3 a-levels and get the best grades than if you do 4 and get average grades. Keep in mind what you can manage and what you think you are capable of. They want quality and not quantity -

Best of Luck x
Reply 2
the only reason to do 4 is if you can handle it and because it gives you an extra sense of security. For example, if you need AAA then getting a B in a subject can still allow you to meet your offer.
Reply 3
idk i don't think they have an explicit preference but i think top unis like oxbridge might prefer it as it shows that you are capable of the intense workload
my sister is at oxford and says the vast majority of students there took four a levels
but apart from oxbridge i dont think it matters
Reply 4
Original post by fox473
idk i don't think they have an explicit preference but i think top unis like oxbridge might prefer it as it shows that you are capable of the intense workload
my sister is at oxford and says the vast majority of students there took four a levels
but apart from oxbridge i dont think it matters

I don't think I would be able to handle 4 a levels going forward especially chemistry. I'm asking as I asked my chemistry teacher about just doing the AS. He said that top unis would prefer candidates with 4 a levels.
Reply 5
if you don't think you can handle four a levels then just taking 3 or 3 with an as is definitely a good idea

it definitely would be better to do consistently well in three a levels than to stretch yourself thin across four, especially since grade requirements are always for three subjects only
Reply 6
Original post by fox473
if you don't think you can handle four a levels then just taking 3 or 3 with an as is definitely a good idea

it definitely would be better to do consistently well in three a levels than to stretch yourself thin across four, especially since grade requirements are always for three subjects only

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by yMxisty
Do top universities care of you do 4 a levels or 3 a levels and an As. As I plan on doing an AS in chemistry. I am taking maths, further maths and physics and want to do mathematics and computer science

One or two courses give a lower offer for four but by and large they dont care, not something to worry about. For Oxbridge the admissions tests and interviews are more important, A levels are a tick in the box.
Reply 8
Original post by yMxisty

If Chemistry isn't required for the course you're planning to do then I don't think it's really necessary to have 4. Most Universities are only looking for 3, even the most prestigious ones.
Original post by yMxisty

As long as you have the A levels/ucas points required or above the minimum requirement you should be fine . Of course the more the better.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest