The Student Room Group

A Level Resit 2023-2024

Hi.
Is anyone else resitting their A Levels? What subjects are you resitting and are you going to resit with a school/college or as a private candidate? Also, Does anyone know how much it costs to resit one A Level? I’ve tried looking for it myself but it’s quite difficult to find. The only price I’ve found so far is £109 per A level? But I hear some people saying that they paid over £500 for their resit.

Scroll to see replies

Hi,it depends when you actually book your A-Levels . It will be more expensive the closer to the exams :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by futuremedgirl
Hi,it depends when you actually book your A-Levels . It will be more expensive the closer to the exams :smile:

Do you roughly know what price range I’d be looking at?
Original post by Shaylahnaomi
Do you roughly know what price range I’d be looking at?

What subjects are you doing? Also it would be good to find a exam centre on google and email them for their price lists :smile:.
The prices usually double in Feb / march time
Reply 4
I've also considered a resit at my sixth form but am stuck on how the uni application process works.

How will I be applying to unis if I do choose to resit? Will I have predicted grades? If not are unis guaranteed to make their own predictions when assessing my application?
Reply 5
Original post by GonRo
I've also considered a resit at my sixth form but am stuck on how the uni application process works.

How will I be applying to unis if I do choose to resit? Will I have predicted grades? If not are unis guaranteed to make their own predictions when assessing my application?

You’d have to go through UCAS again and submit your personal statement, also if ur resitting with a school or a college they’ll predict it for you but if you’re resitting as a private candidate u can ask the exam centre ur sitting ur exam in to do a practice question paper and then they can predict new grades for you or typically they’ll just use ur old predicted grades.
Reply 6
Hi.
Is anyone else resitting their A Levels? What subjects are you resitting and are you going to resit with a school/college or as a private candidate? Also, Does anyone know how much it costs to resit one A Level? I’ve tried looking for it myself but it’s quite difficult to find. The only price I’ve found so far is £109 per A level? But I hear some people saying that they paid over £500 for their resit.

Hi. Don't worry, you're not the only one. We seem to be in the same boat! My school has never had someone retake A-Levels with them, so I'm waiting for my head of year to reply and see if it's a possibility to resit the whole year. I think the chances are low, so I think my most likely scenario is resitting as a private candidate.

I don't exactly know how applying to university is going to work though. I think my school will give me some more details.
Reply 7
Hi.

Hello I wanna resit so your not alone but I’m not sure how predicted grades for applications work also if you check exam board website they have a fees section thts what you would pay if you do it through your schl it depend on the subject and board but if you go private centre route you’d probs have to pay more
you have to either get predicted grades from school (my teachers told my friend they will predict one above what you got in your a levels) or you go to a private institute and they take assessments and then make your predict grades. private institutes which will tutor you, give you mocks and exam practice will be no less that £30k a year, so be careful with that. you could also just resit this year and then apply the year after (2 gap years basically) with your achieved grades but thats up to you, many people have done this too
Hi.
Have any of you guys decided how you will be resitting [e.g going back to old sixth form or privately online or academy]?
Hi.

Can I ask where you found a centre for £109?
Reply 11
Hi.

Hi! I’m also a resitting student studying bio chem maths :smile: I didn’t ask my college for help but there is some other colleges where I can sit their internal exams and get predicted grades so I can apply this year with the reference provided by my previous school. As far as I know, booking exams will be more expensive as it gets closer to the date. As a private candidate I need to book the exam centre by myself but I haven’t booked the exam centre yet and will be doing it at around november.
Reply 12
Original post by Lynn 0526
Hi! I’m also a resitting student studying bio chem maths :smile: I didn’t ask my college for help but there is some other colleges where I can sit their internal exams and get predicted grades so I can apply this year with the reference provided by my previous school. As far as I know, booking exams will be more expensive as it gets closer to the date. As a private candidate I need to book the exam centre by myself but I haven’t booked the exam centre yet and will be doing it at around november.

Hi! Can I ask how you found the colleges that would allow you to sit their internal exams and if there are costs involved? Is it best to email colleges individually and ask perhaps?
Reply 13
Original post by emaanq5
Hi! Can I ask how you found the colleges that would allow you to sit their internal exams and if there are costs involved? Is it best to email colleges individually and ask perhaps?

i’m pretty sure your exam boards will have a list of schools/centres on their website under private candidates (i know AQA does anyways not sure about other exam boards). But the best way to know and compare prices would be ringing up schools/centres in your local area, or even emailing (:
Reply 14
Original post by Student21065
Have any of you guys decided how you will be resitting [e.g going back to old sixth form or privately online or academy]?

I've been told I'm not allowed to resit the year at my sixth form so I'm just going to study at home, put my head down and hope for the best!
Reply 15
Hi.

hello,
i am planning on resitting them privately in biology , chemistry and maths.
i think you can use the jcq website to search for exam centers
https://www.jcq.org.uk/private-candidates/page/2/
Reply 16
Hi.

I took my a levels in 2022 & missed one, then my college stopped doing a levels so I couldn’t continue with them.

Tried to go to other colleges but none of them had both my courses so I’ve been homeschooling myself.
Went to book the exam in feb 2023 and it was just shy of £1000 each- & I hadn’t even had any course fees.

Have to wait another year and the whole process confuses me majorly :/

& now low-key scared Cus isn’t Sunak changing A levels?
Reply 17
Original post by Karys27
I took my a levels in 2022 & missed one, then my college stopped doing a levels so I couldn’t continue with them.

Tried to go to other colleges but none of them had both my courses so I’ve been homeschooling myself.
Went to book the exam in feb 2023 and it was just shy of £1000 each- & I hadn’t even had any course fees.

Have to wait another year and the whole process confuses me majorly :/

& now low-key scared Cus isn’t Sunak changing A levels?

Downing Street said that changes to A Levels wouldn't happen for 10 years.
Reply 18
Hi.

hi,

where did u find £109 per subject, mine was £240 per subject
Reply 19
Original post by Unevu
hi,

where did u find £109 per subject, mine was £240 per subject

if you don't mind me asking is the exam centre in London? because most of them cost 300 and above for one a level :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest