The Student Room Group

The Official Modern Languages Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

The Official Languages 2024 Entry Thread

iStock-1337786250.jpg

Hi :hi:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University for Languages for 2024!

Meet and chat to other people applying for a Languages degree.

Here are a few suggested opening questions, but ask whatever you want regarding Languages at University.

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)? Are you applying for Postgraduate or Undergraduate?
2) What universities do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE and Sixth Form?
4) Why Languages specifically? What Languages course are you applying for?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) Will you be attending any Open Days?
7) How are you feeling about starting University?
8) Other courses you're interested in?

You can find a directory linking to all of the other university applicant threads here.
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Talkative Toad

iStock-1337786250.jpg

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University for Languages for 2024!

Here are a few suggested opening questions, but ask whatever you want regarding Languages at University.

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)? Are you applying for Postgraduate or Undergraduate?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?

You can find a directory linking to all of the other university applicant threads here.

weird that no one has started the discussion yet, so i'll start!

i'm planning to apply this year and defer my entry for 2025, since I want to take a gap year to develop some skills, get a job and also improve the basics of german (applying ab initio)
i study french, sociology and politics at A level and predicted A*AB although i do want to increase my sociology grade, i'll be happy for a b in politics haha
my definite choices are surrey, bath and royal holloway (s and b because of it being highly ranked, and i know my way around the whole of bath campus and have been impressed by the mfl department) and ucl, exeter, queen mary and kcl. all of these are highly ranked in general but surrey, bath, exeter and ucl especially in mfl
i'm applying for french bc i speak it haha, but i also want to learn more about the culture and linguistics, and i also applied for german (ab initio) bc i've been consistently learning the basics on duolingo since year 9 and thought it would be silly not to continue it at university. i would also be rly interested in doing arabic as a non degree, since i am arab and feel it's important to learn the basics.
fortunately, i do not have to sit any tests! i have been to bath open day, and i'm acc going to southampton today! i have also booked open days to surrey, exeter, royal holloway!
i'm really excited to go to university to be honest, i don't like change much, but i do feel like i want to start a new chapter, and hopefully that gap year will make me feel more ready!!
Hi all, new to this website so hope I'm using it right. I'm currently doing an Access to HE course, which is a tad exhausting, but if I can get the results I need it'll be worth it. I'm hoping to apply for a combined BA Japanese and BA Linguistics course at SOAS - I've looked at a few universities, but SOAS seems perfect for me, as it apparently is the tippity top for language learning and the Linguistics course has a translation pathway from year 2 on, which is the field I want to go into. For GCSEs I got 5 in Maths and 7 in English, though that was right before COVID first hit, so it was a decent time past. I am hoping to go to the SOAS open day, but personal circumstances have a small chance of getting in the way, so we'll see.

As for why these subjects specifically... regarding linguistics and translation, I really enjoy exercising precision in language. I like having an idea and chipping away at the forming sentence with just the exact right words to perfectly express it. Considering how much I enjoy using language this way, linguistics feels like the right choice, and translation even more so; as for why Japanese, simple as it is, I've been borderline enamoured with the country, culture, and - yes, predictably - the media for more years than I could give an accurate number for. I even started learning the language on my own in my early teens, so while that didn't progress to a competent level, I have a strong foundation that I've kept up throughout the years. Really, the career of J-E and vice-versa translation seems perfect for me; especially as they're more task-oriented than interpersonal communication, the latter being a weak point of mine.

To be honest, I'm quite nervous about getting the right grades; not just SOAS, but most uni's offering these kinds of courses seem to have very high requirements, and while I like to think I'm pretty sharpminded in a classroom, getting majority Distinctions seems like a tall order with little room for error. Not much I can do but try, though.
Reply 3
hi guys!!
i study french, english language and philosophy at a level and have A*AB predicted. i've just sent off my application for french & italian at ucl, bristol, st andrews, cardiff and ulip(french studies). for ucl it was because i did a summer school there in july and i loved pretty much everything about it. i also think living and studying in london would be super cool as it's such a great city, although it would def be extremely expensive lol. for bristol and st andrews it was because they are both high in the league tables and i think they both look like very interesting and beautiful places to study. for ulip it was because it is very unique in the fact that i would get to study in paris for the three full years, however that would be just french studies as they don't do other languages there. and finally for cardiff it was because i was needing a final choice with slightly lower grade requirements as an insurance and cardiff is both fairly high on the league tables & seems like a great place to study.

i decided to study languages at uni because they have always been my passion and my #1 interest since i was a kid, and i couldn't imagine myself studying anything else. i picked french because i already study it at a-level and have been studying it since primary, and have therefore gained a real love for it, and i would love to become fluent one day. i am also completely enamoured with france as a country and especially paris. i knew i would want to study another language alongside french and i picked italian because i am very interested in italian as a language and also the culture and beauty of italy, and i had read some italian literature that solidified that. i also think french & italian will go nicely together as they are both romance languages :smile:

no admission tests for me, but i have an interview booked in with ulip already for a couple of weeks which i am getting nervous about. as for open days i am still get to go to any but i would def like to. i am both super excited and nervous to start uni which i think most can relate to !!

goodluck everyone :biggrin:
Reply 4
hiya! i'm studying a-level spanish, german and english language (predicted a*a*a*) as well as doing an EPQ on language education in Britain. i'm planning on applying to edinburgh, st andrews, glasgow, durham and aberdeen - all for languages spanish and german, plus with comparative literature at st andrews. edinburgh as a city is one of my favourite places in the world so that's the main reason it's my top choice, and i really love the course. languages have been my favourite subject since starting secondary school and spending 4 weeks working in Hamburg over the summer really proved how much it was the path i want to take. i'm so excited to start university and continue my language studies. as mentioned, i am also applying to comparative literature at st andrews, but linguistics and another language (probably french) are the other courses i'm interested in! good luck :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by aarcs
hi guys!!
i study french, english language and philosophy at a level and have A*AB predicted. i've just sent off my application for french & italian at ucl, bristol, st andrews, cardiff and ulip(french studies). for ucl it was because i did a summer school there in july and i loved pretty much everything about it. i also think living and studying in london would be super cool as it's such a great city, although it would def be extremely expensive lol. for bristol and st andrews it was because they are both high in the league tables and i think they both look like very interesting and beautiful places to study. for ulip it was because it is very unique in the fact that i would get to study in paris for the three full years, however that would be just french studies as they don't do other languages there. and finally for cardiff it was because i was needing a final choice with slightly lower grade requirements as an insurance and cardiff is both fairly high on the league tables & seems like a great place to study.

i decided to study languages at uni because they have always been my passion and my #1 interest since i was a kid, and i couldn't imagine myself studying anything else. i picked french because i already study it at a-level and have been studying it since primary, and have therefore gained a real love for it, and i would love to become fluent one day. i am also completely enamoured with france as a country and especially paris. i knew i would want to study another language alongside french and i picked italian because i am very interested in italian as a language and also the culture and beauty of italy, and i had read some italian literature that solidified that. i also think french & italian will go nicely together as they are both romance languages :smile:

no admission tests for me, but i have an interview booked in with ulip already for a couple of weeks which i am getting nervous about. as for open days i am still get to go to any but i would def like to. i am both super excited and nervous to start uni which i think most can relate to !!

goodluck everyone :biggrin:

Good Luck! Curious- are you an overseas students? As early to get applications in x
Original post by amel.z0
weird that no one has started the discussion yet, so i'll start!

i'm planning to apply this year and defer my entry for 2025, since I want to take a gap year to develop some skills, get a job and also improve the basics of german (applying ab initio)
i study french, sociology and politics at A level and predicted A*AB although i do want to increase my sociology grade, i'll be happy for a b in politics haha
my definite choices are surrey, bath and royal holloway (s and b because of it being highly ranked, and i know my way around the whole of bath campus and have been impressed by the mfl department) and ucl, exeter, queen mary and kcl. all of these are highly ranked in general but surrey, bath, exeter and ucl especially in mfl
i'm applying for french bc i speak it haha, but i also want to learn more about the culture and linguistics, and i also applied for german (ab initio) bc i've been consistently learning the basics on duolingo since year 9 and thought it would be silly not to continue it at university. i would also be rly interested in doing arabic as a non degree, since i am arab and feel it's important to learn the basics.
fortunately, i do not have to sit any tests! i have been to bath open day, and i'm acc going to southampton today! i have also booked open days to surrey, exeter, royal holloway!
i'm really excited to go to university to be honest, i don't like change much, but i do feel like i want to start a new chapter, and hopefully that gap year will make me feel more ready!!

Surrey is nice as the lessons are more classroom based (as in you’re not in a massive lecture hall but more in a classroom like setting similar to secondary school, “language labs”, no lecture theatre). I don’t know about the other universities though (when it comes to how and where you do the lessons).

I would focus more on how much you enjoy the course and university as opposed to rankings.

Are you a native French speaker? :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by ilovelemons
Good Luck! Curious- are you an overseas students? As early to get applications in x

oh no haha i'm a home student, i sent my app quite early cause i was originally on early admissions (applying to oxford), didn't end up going through with applying there but decided to get my application sent off early anyway cause it was finished already x
Reply 8
Surrey is nice as the lessons are more classroom based (as in you’re not in a massive lecture hall but more in a classroom like setting similar to secondary school, “language labs”, no lecture theatre). I don’t know about the other universities though (when it comes to how and where you do the lessons).

I would focus more on how much you enjoy the course and university as opposed to rankings.

Are you a native French speaker? :colondollar:

yes, i'm a french speaker!! and that's great, i'm going to the open day on the 4th and very excited
Original post by amel.z0
yes, i'm a french speaker!! and that's great, i'm going to the open day on the 4th and very excited

That’s nice then.
Reply 10
Hi, I've applied for Modern Languages (French and German) at Cambridge, Exeter, Bath, Reading and Durham, with predicted grades of A*AA in French, German and English Literature
Reply 11
Original post by imclx
hiya! i'm studying a-level spanish, german and english language (predicted a*a*a*) as well as doing an EPQ on language education in Britain. i'm planning on applying to edinburgh, st andrews, glasgow, durham and aberdeen - all for languages spanish and german, plus with comparative literature at st andrews. edinburgh as a city is one of my favourite places in the world so that's the main reason it's my top choice, and i really love the course. languages have been my favourite subject since starting secondary school and spending 4 weeks working in Hamburg over the summer really proved how much it was the path i want to take. i'm so excited to start university and continue my language studies. as mentioned, i am also applying to comparative literature at st andrews, but linguistics and another language (probably french) are the other courses i'm interested in! good luck :smile:

Just curious, if you don't mind, what did you do in Hamburg this summer? Was it a holiday or were you doing volunteering, an internship, etc?
Reply 12
Original post by eliza_xx
Just curious, if you don't mind, what did you do in Hamburg this summer? Was it a holiday or were you doing volunteering, an internship, etc?

i spent a week at a language school and the other three volunteering in a charity providing food for the homeless. was the most incredible experience ever!
Reply 13
Original post by imclx

Hi! I was just wondering if you organised your work experience in Hamburg through a specific company and whether you'd be able to share the link with me? I would be interested in doing something similar.
Reply 14
Original post by noahscull
Hi! I was just wondering if you organised your work experience in Hamburg through a specific company and whether you'd be able to share the link with me? I would be interested in doing something similar.

yes i did! the company were called blue stamps travel. they were a really good company - as i was on a group trip we had two group leaders who were amazing, but they also offer individual ones as well! here's their website https://www.bluestamptravel.com/
Reply 15
Original post by imclx
yes i did! the company were called blue stamps travel. they were a really good company - as i was on a group trip we had two group leaders who were amazing, but they also offer individual ones as well! here's their website https://www.bluestamptravel.com/

Thank you!

iStock-1337786250.jpg

Hi, this thread is a great idea! It’s honestly a relief to see that there are other linguists out there.

1) I’m studying French, Spanish, Latin and English at A level. I’m applying for undergraduate study.

2) I’ve applied to Cambridge (best course for my interests and style of study), UCL (meant to have a great modern languages department and a large international student body), Bath (aesthetic location but also seems great academically), Warwick (seems to have a dedicated faculty) and Exeter (excellent modules— my second favourite course structure after Cambridge!).

3) GCSEs- 10 9s and a 7
A Levels- predicted 4 A*s

4) I really love languages because there’s a great equilibrium between learning in theory and in practice. It’s also just so fun: I love learning new things all the time. I’m applying for French and Spanish at every university I’ve chosen.

5) I’m a bit late to this thread 😅 so I have already taken the Cambridge assessment. I just did the past question papers as preparation.

6) Only offer holder days… I mainly looked at videos online and didn’t really visit, which I regret slightly.

7) I’m feeling quite excited, but also quite daunted by the fact that it’s coming up soon… I don’t feel old enough yet!

8) I was considering modern language and linguistics, but there generally tend to be many modules that include linguistics so I didn’t bother.

Good luck everyone with your applications!

iStock-1337786250.jpg

hello !! i study french and spanish and music tech, and i'm predicted A, A, discinction, hopefully I'll be able to get A* in french!

im applying for undergrad french and chinese !!!!

i really want to go to uni of leeds since i love the campus, im familiar with the city!!

i really love learning languages and recently i've watched a few video essays about linguistics too! i started wanting to learn languages after watching dubbed cartoons as a kid, when a show i follow premiered some episodes in portuguese last year, i was able to understand most of it from studying spanish !!!!

been to open days at leeds (two of them in sept, oct, absolutely loved it there!!!!), liverpool (felt super dingy there, but i did like the variety of languages and the opportunity to study basque) and manchester (feels wayway too posh and definitely not the atmosphere i'd want to be in)

in the future i want to also learn/dabble in, japanese (maybe . . . . theres way way too many different formality words so i might not. but the knowledge i get from learning chinese might help!!!), portuguese and basque !!!!! i wanna be a teacher or musician ! just depends how things go lol !
Reply 18

iStock-1337786250.jpg

I’m studying French, Spanish and English lit and I’m predicted A* A* A . I’ve applied to St Andrews (best course for me and I love the location - planning to combine with IR there), Exeter (fantastic modules), Bristol, Durham (both good backup choices) and Liverpool (convenient and I like the choice of languages available). I’ve applied everywhere for french and Spanish except for St Andrews with the additional subject. I may do Italian or Portuguese at liverpool as well. I‘ve always loved languages especially translation and I love reading Spanish, South American and French literature. I love speaking the languages too (though not very well) as I find it very rewarding to have a conversation in a foreign language and make connections across a variety of different topics. I’ve only visited liverpool but I would like to go to an offer holder day at Exeter. Still waiting for responses from St Andrews and Durham. I’m excited as I feel like I’ll be ready to leave school soon but at the same time I’m so nervous about not knowing anyone. In middle of A-level mocks at the moment - good luck to everyone else for mocks and the final exams in may!
Reply 19

iStock-1337786250.jpg

hi!! i've got an offer from UCLan for Modern Languages Japanese and Korean which i'm probably going to accept :biggrin:,, anyone else got an offer for modern languages at UCLan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending