The Student Room Group

Korean/Japanese Studies 2024 Applicants

Hey! I just wanted to see if there was anyone one else applying to study Korean or Japanese at university for 2024 entry?

I'll be applying to Sheffield, Leeds, Edinburgh, Cardiff, and SOAS :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

I'm hoping to apply for SOAS BA Japanese and English Linguistics, though I expect I'll need very high marks to have even a chance. I've shopped around a bit for other uni's too, but, while others did look good, SOAS looks the best suited to me by a long shot, and most other uni's seemed to have largely similar entry requirements.
Original post by MayflowersJE
I'm hoping to apply for SOAS BA Japanese and English Linguistics, though I expect I'll need very high marks to have even a chance. I've shopped around a bit for other uni's too, but, while others did look good, SOAS looks the best suited to me by a long shot, and most other uni's seemed to have largely similar entry requirements.

That sounds really cool! I've applied to SOAS to study linguistics as well but in combination with Korean rather than Japanese :smile:
Original post by MagicalKiwi123
That sounds really cool! I've applied to SOAS to study linguistics as well but in combination with Korean rather than Japanese :smile:

Oh, nice! I was actually considering some of the Korean language modules for the additional credits, funnily enough. Best of luck with all your applications; perhaps I'll see you there, acceptance allowing.
Reply 4
Hey! I just wanted to see if there was anyone one else applying to study Korean or Japanese at university for 2024 entry?

Hey! I've applied to do Japanese at Sheffield, SOAS, Birkbeck, UCLan and Cambridge! What would be your top uni? Mine is definitely Sheffield
Original post by apron
Hey! I've applied to do Japanese at Sheffield, SOAS, Birkbeck, UCLan and Cambridge! What would be your top uni? Mine is definitely Sheffield

Oh wow, good luck with your application! My top choices would probably be Sheffield or SOAS ^^ I'm interested in translation and the modules at SOAS are the best for that but the cost of being a student in London is a lot 😂 Have you been to a university open day yet? Sheffield seemed really nice when I visited last year :smile:
Original post by apron

Hi there @apron, :smile:

It's great to hear that you have applied to study Japanese here at UCLan for our 2024 entry!

If you have any questions about our course or life here on campus, I'd be more than happy to help.

Best wishes, :smile:
Sarah
Reply 7
Oh wow, good luck with your application! My top choices would probably be Sheffield or SOAS ^^ I'm interested in translation and the modules at SOAS are the best for that but the cost of being a student in London is a lot 😂 Have you been to a university open day yet? Sheffield seemed really nice when I visited last year :smile:

Good luck on your application as well!! And I agree with your Sheffield and SOAS are definitely my top two right now. The prices of living in london are very high right now but if you plan on getting student finance then that will help you lots. For student finance if you’re studying in London then you get more money to accommodate for the cost of living and you can also get bursaries and stuff so it should be too bad 😅 I’ve also been to a Sheffield open day! I went with my school on a trip there and it looked lovely when I went around. I haven’t seen much of the actual city but I’ve heard lots of good things about it. I have to say it was very hilly but I like that sort of environment and plus I’ll get my steps in. That’s the only open day i’ve been on but it’s honestly because i’m too awkward to go on an open day by myself 😂 Sorry I’ve been waffling for a while here have you been on any other open days?
Original post by apron
Good luck on your application as well!! And I agree with your Sheffield and SOAS are definitely my top two right now. The prices of living in london are very high right now but if you plan on getting student finance then that will help you lots. For student finance if you’re studying in London then you get more money to accommodate for the cost of living and you can also get bursaries and stuff so it should be too bad 😅 I’ve also been to a Sheffield open day! I went with my school on a trip there and it looked lovely when I went around. I haven’t seen much of the actual city but I’ve heard lots of good things about it. I have to say it was very hilly but I like that sort of environment and plus I’ll get my steps in. That’s the only open day i’ve been on but it’s honestly because i’m too awkward to go on an open day by myself 😂 Sorry I’ve been waffling for a while here have you been on any other open days?

Yess, Sheffield has so many hills!! Apparently if you live in London your maintenance loan is increased by around £2000 I believe so that'd be really helpful if I were to choose SOAS :smile: I went to the York St John open day but tbh I didn't really like it very much. York seemed like a really nice city but I just couldn't imagine myself living there if that makes sense. I want to go to the SOAS open day that's coming up but I'm also too awkward to go by myself 😂
Reply 9
Yess, Sheffield has so many hills!! Apparently if you live in London your maintenance loan is increased by around £2000 I believe so that'd be really helpful if I were to choose SOAS :smile: I went to the York St John open day but tbh I didn't really like it very much. York seemed like a really nice city but I just couldn't imagine myself living there if that makes sense. I want to go to the SOAS open day that's coming up but I'm also too awkward to go by myself 😂

Yes that makes total sense, sometimes you can just tell which place you can comfortably call home and which place you can’t. I didn’t even know there was a SOAS open day coming up 😭 I might have to just get myself together and go because how else will I know that I will like it there. I hope that we both end up going and getting over our awkwardness lol
Reply 10

Hi! I've submitted applications to study BA Japanese at Manchester and SAOS, as well as Japanese with Business at Cardiff! I've already got offers from Manchester and Cardiff, but I'm waiting on SOAS. Has anyone heard back from them yet?
Reply 11
Original post by Grant18
Hi! I've submitted applications to study BA Japanese at Manchester and SAOS, as well as Japanese with Business at Cardiff! I've already got offers from Manchester and Cardiff, but I'm waiting on SOAS. Has anyone heard back from them yet?

Congrats on your offers!! :h: I still haven’t heard back from SOAS either but I looked it up earlier and it said that they should respond in around 4 weeks time after submitting your application. Good luck!!
Original post by Grant18

Well done!! Which uni would you say you're most interested in? From past experience, SOAS usually takes around a month to reply :smile:
Original post by apron
Yes that makes total sense, sometimes you can just tell which place you can comfortably call home and which place you can’t. I didn’t even know there was a SOAS open day coming up 😭 I might have to just get myself together and go because how else will I know that I will like it there. I hope that we both end up going and getting over our awkwardness lol

Exactly! Yeah, I'm pretty sure the open day is on the 4th of November so this weekend! :smile:
Reply 14
Exactly! Yeah, I'm pretty sure the open day is on the 4th of November so this weekend! :smile:

Yep, it’s on the 4th!
Reply 15
Well done!! Which uni would you say you're most interested in? From past experience, SOAS usually takes around a month to reply :smile:

Thank you! I’m definitely most interested in SOAS, even if London prices are a bit high…😬. It’s coming up to three weeks since I sent of my application so hopefully I hear back in about a week! Fingers crossed 🤞
Reply 16
Hi guys, anyone at the SOAS open day today?
Original post by Grant18
Hi guys, anyone at the SOAS open day today?

I wish :< Had all intent to go, but train fare ended up being around £300, so there wasn't any way.
Reply 18
Original post by MayflowersJE
I wish :< Had all intent to go, but train fare ended up being around £300, so there wasn't any way.

OMG! That is a huge fare! I'll try to include as much of what we got told in this message. The majority of what we heard r.e modules and the year abroad can be found on the course page. In terms of language learning, in first year the year group (60-80) is split into three classes. Lectures on grammar are held together in one big group, but tutorials are in the smaller classes for better learning. There is about 8-10 hours of contact time for language learning on its own (A bit less for the cultural studies side I think). The three small classes are based on ability. There is absolute beginners, self learners and then GCSE/ low grade A-level students. If you have any language ability you are given a proficiency test during welcome week to place you in the correct group. If you perform incredibly well, you may end up taking classes with second years (you need to be VERY good for this though). According to the second year students I spoke to, the teachers are very good and there is a very friendly environment between students as you all spend so much time together studying in small groups. However, things to note are that there is a 50% dropout rate in the elementary Japanese course as it is very intense. Also, because students grades are put up for all to see in rank order of who did best on tests, it can feel quite competitive at times. In terms of the uni itself though, the campus is really small which I love and it is in a really nice spot in London. Sorry about the length of this message, I hope it is useful though!
Original post by Grant18
OMG! That is a huge fare! I'll try to include as much of what we got told in this message. The majority of what we heard r.e modules and the year abroad can be found on the course page. In terms of language learning, in first year the year group (60-80) is split into three classes. Lectures on grammar are held together in one big group, but tutorials are in the smaller classes for better learning. There is about 8-10 hours of contact time for language learning on its own (A bit less for the cultural studies side I think). The three small classes are based on ability. There is absolute beginners, self learners and then GCSE/ low grade A-level students. If you have any language ability you are given a proficiency test during welcome week to place you in the correct group. If you perform incredibly well, you may end up taking classes with second years (you need to be VERY good for this though). According to the second year students I spoke to, the teachers are very good and there is a very friendly environment between students as you all spend so much time together studying in small groups. However, things to note are that there is a 50% dropout rate in the elementary Japanese course as it is very intense. Also, because students grades are put up for all to see in rank order of who did best on tests, it can feel quite competitive at times. In terms of the uni itself though, the campus is really small which I love and it is in a really nice spot in London. Sorry about the length of this message, I hope it is useful though!

Wow, thank you so much! No need to apologise for the length, I appreciate the detail a lot! The split groups are interesting, I had wondered how different proficiencies were handled considering the proficiency test. I also appreciate a bit of intensity and competition, so that sounds perfect - thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending