The Student Room Group

Vac scheme unlikely?

Hi guys
I’m going into my second year of uni now (it’s a science course) and am looking to apply to vac schemes at law firms. I’m concerned whether my grades (since MC/SC firms request all module grades) will hold me back… for context I’m studying at Imperial, but do have mitigating circumstances with evidence for my poor grades.
Overall I achieved a 2.1 for the year (62.7%) , but I’m worried that the fact that it’s a low 2.1 and that I have some poor exam results will hold me back.
Module results:
Winter modules: 40%, 50%, 69%
Spring modules: 56%, 58%, 71%, 80%, 64%
I can obviously show an improvement from t1 to t2 but I’m still worried :/ If so, are there any forms who are more lenient with module grades?
Reply 1
Original post by clappednconfused
Hi guys
I’m going into my second year of uni now (it’s a science course) and am looking to apply to vac schemes at law firms. I’m concerned whether my grades (since MC/SC firms request all module grades) will hold me back… for context I’m studying at Imperial, but do have mitigating circumstances with evidence for my poor grades.
Overall I achieved a 2.1 for the year (62.7%) , but I’m worried that the fact that it’s a low 2.1 and that I have some poor exam results will hold me back.
Module results:
Winter modules: 40%, 50%, 69%
Spring modules: 56%, 58%, 71%, 80%, 64%
I can obviously show an improvement from t1 to t2 but I’m still worried :/ If so, are there any forms who are more lenient with module grades?

Hey!

Grades are important when it comes to law firm applications but they are not everything. I think you could look into law firms that do not have grade requirements or to law firms which look at your applications holistically by considering mitigating circumstances and your career journey.

It's also very important to emphasise why you want to work at a specific firm and how your skills are transferrable to law. Some law firms with practice areas in technical fields such as patent law and intellectual property generally are looking for students with a technical background so use this to your advantage. For more tips on how to write great applications and how to use your experiences and relate them to law, you could check the Commercial Law Academy's courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending