The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Application to US firm with average grades?

Hi TSR

I'd appreciate any help with the following:

I study Law at Oxford - in my first year exams, I got 68,68,62, putting me at a 66 average with a 2:1.

I'm really interested in applying for vac schemes at big US firms like Latham&Watkins/Davis Polk etc, however, I've been told that they hire on a de facto first-only basis.

I'm really worried that not getting a first, particularly with a low 2:1 in one out of 3 modules, will make my application significantly less competitive than someone else with a consistent high 2:1 across all modules or a first.

I have a few extracurriculars with leadership positions, but nothing else.

I'm quite stressed about it all, so any insight would be really awesome :smile:
Reply 1
Rita,

The big city firms, whether US, MC or wider city practices absolutely do not recruit on a first only basis so do not worry (if there are any exceptions here they are in a very small minority). They'll be some successful candidates with a first sure, most will have a 2.1. Many application forms won't ask for a module breakdown, simply to confirm the overall percentage. Do not worry about individual module grades, on the academic front what is most important is that you get a solid 2.1 overall (tick), and that your degree is from a well regarded institution (tick)

A first is a small advantage on an application, but academics are only part of the picture. What is far more important is to keep the extracurriculars going and try to build up legal work experience where you can during the holidays to supplement (and help you succeed in getting) vac schemes. Are there local high street practices you could work in for a week? are there legal teams or solicitors where any of your friends or family work that you could shadow?

& apply, apply, apply for vac schemes! They are competitive and it is, to some degree, a numbers game - the more you apply the greater the chance of success.
Reply 2
Original post by AMac86
Rita,

The big city firms, whether US, MC or wider city practices absolutely do not recruit on a first only basis so do not worry (if there are any exceptions here they are in a very small minority). They'll be some successful candidates with a first sure, most will have a 2.1. Many application forms won't ask for a module breakdown, simply to confirm the overall percentage. Do not worry about individual module grades, on the academic front what is most important is that you get a solid 2.1 overall (tick), and that your degree is from a well regarded institution (tick)

A first is a small advantage on an application, but academics are only part of the picture. What is far more important is to keep the extracurriculars going and try to build up legal work experience where you can during the holidays to supplement (and help you succeed in getting) vac schemes. Are there local high street practices you could work in for a week? are there legal teams or solicitors where any of your friends or family work that you could shadow?

& apply, apply, apply for vac schemes! They are competitive and it is, to some degree, a numbers game - the more you apply the greater the chance of success.

Thank you very much for this detailed and informative response - it's really appreciated, kind stranger!

I'm glad that my grades won't limit my opportunities, and will try bolstering my CV with as many extracurriculars and work experience as I can get my hands on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending