The Student Room Group

What is your favourite anime/manga?

Is your favourite manga different to your favourite anime?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by user1567945

I have two - Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gintama
I prefer both anime to the manga, since the voice actors and the background music (specially shiro sagisu in evangelion) make it more impactful. But after watching the anime, it helps reading the manga (since I can imagine some of their voices)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
I have two - Neon Genesis Evangelion and Gintama

What makes them your favourite?
I have watched the anime of neon genesis evangelion, Gintama is on my watchlist
What makes them your favourite?
I have watched the anime of neon genesis evangelion, Gintama is on my watchlist

Gintama - I started watching 2 years ago after year 11 (May 2021), finished it in February 2023, so it saw me through to the near end of year 13. It was my form of escapism - with gintama, you get emotionally attached to characters over time (the first episode is a hour episode, it is a confusing mess. Episode 25 feels like a really gintama episode)

Neon genesis Evangelion - I felt like I related to Shinji a lot. Especially about the ‘hedgehog’s dilemma’ (episode 4)
https://evangelion.fandom.com/wiki/Episode:04
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog%27s_dilemma
Reply 4
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Gintama - I started watching 2 years ago after year 11 (May 2021), finished it in February 2023, so it saw me through to the near end of year 13. It was my form of escapism - with gintama, you get emotionally attached to characters over time (the first episode is a hour episode, it is a confusing mess. Episode 25 feels like a really gintama episode)

Neon genesis Evangelion - I felt like I related to Shinji a lot. Especially about the ‘hedgehog’s dilemma’ (episode 4)
https://evangelion.fandom.com/wiki/Episode:04
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog%27s_dilemma

I’m glad they both helped you.
Neon genesis evangelion when I watched, I did enjoy. Though I was in a very bad way myself when I watched it, it impacted me a lot.
Shinji is a great written protagonist.
Reply 5

yep. my favourite anime is def haikyuu, and as much as i love the manga for it, i can't say its my favourite. my favourite manga is probably jujutsu kaisen or chainsaw man
Reply 6
Original post by venya_b
yep. my favourite anime is def haikyuu, and as much as i love the manga for it, i can't say its my favourite. my favourite manga is probably jujutsu kaisen or chainsaw man

I love chainsaw man! Who is your favourite character? Honestly am behind in the manga for it though 😅 need to catch up!
Berserk. The manga that is.

Can't claim it's my favourite anime however as there's never been a faithful adaptation.
Reply 8
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
Berserk. The manga that is.

Can't claim it's my favourite anime however as there's never been a faithful adaptation.

Fair comment. What would you say is your favourite anime?
Fair comment. What would you say is your favourite anime?

That's a tough one...

MHA maybe? I'm a sucker for characters who push past their limits/never give up, and MHA was one of the first anime's I watched where the protag embodies just that.
Reply 10
That's a tough one...

MHA maybe? I'm a sucker for characters who push past their limits/never give up, and MHA was one of the first anime's I watched where the protag embodies just that.

Shōnen is a great, motivational genre. Love following characters from their earliest beginnings- let’s you connect more. Teamwork and fighting scenes too in MHA are cool.
My first anime was Tokyo ghoul! I still love it, even with the changes in season two. Also led me to read the manga :smile:
Shōnen is a great, motivational genre. Love following characters from their earliest beginnings- let’s you connect more. Teamwork and fighting scenes too in MHA are cool.
My first anime was Tokyo ghoul! I still love it, even with the changes in season two. Also led me to read the manga :smile:

How significant were the changes after season 1 in relation to the manga? I've watched the full series but never read it and always heard that fans hated how they changed a lot of the source material.
Reply 12
How significant were the changes after season 1 in relation to the manga? I've watched the full series but never read it and always heard that fans hated how they changed a lot of the source material.

Season two had big changes. It’s been a while, so this may be a little hazy. Kaneki in the manga, after the fight with Touka’s brother, tells Touka not to follow him. Touka wants to as Kaneki is starting his own little organisation to get stronger. This includes banjou, and another. Anime, they go straight to her brothers side, the violent ghouls. Kaneki has meaningful moments with the group as at one point he turns to kill banjou. Think this is around the type he evolves and mutates in the lab. They do a few adventures as a gang. Tokyo ghoul: re goes back to manga material for the most part. So basically, he makes his own group instead of joining aogiri.
Reply 13
I love chainsaw man! Who is your favourite character? Honestly am behind in the manga for it though 😅 need to catch up!

ummm prob aki or Angel devil. Also love makima but she's a... pretty... interesting character (but she's hot so ig it makes up for it)
how far along are you?
Reply 14
Original post by venya_b
ummm prob aki or Angel devil. Also love makima but she's a... pretty... interesting character (but she's hot so ig it makes up for it)
how far along are you?

bless, Aki is pure-hearted. Lmao about Makima, the way she manipulates so sweetly, I can agree with you.

I’m unsure if I have a favourite, as all the characters are well-written and need/ bounce off each other. I like power, she likes cats and I do too. I liked makima a lot. I like asa. Of course Denji and pochita. Aki.

The last I read up to in chapters was:

Spoiler

I do need to catch up, please feel free to catch me up on vital parts 😭
Reply 15
bless, Aki is pure-hearted. Lmao about Makima, the way she manipulates so sweetly, I can agree with you.

I’m unsure if I have a favourite, as all the characters are well-written and need/ bounce off each other. I like power, she likes cats and I do too. I liked makima a lot. I like asa. Of course Denji and pochita. Aki.

The last I read up to in chapters was:

I do need to catch up, please feel free to catch me up on vital parts 😭

oh i don't think you're too far behind! you should catch up; the story's kinda confusing rn but it's great.

also yes i agree about power, she likes cats and so do i
Reply 16
Original post by venya_b
oh i don't think you're too far behind! you should catch up; the story's kinda confusing rn but it's great.

also yes i agree about power, she likes cats and so do i

Just started the chainsaw man manga from the beginning. Started as an anime only, then kept up to date through social media. So I know key parts of the story, especially in chapter one. But I’ll properly read, see if I’ve missed any details. 😊.
Also yes, power is very relatable for that!!
Reply 17
Just started the chainsaw man manga from the beginning. Started as an anime only, then kept up to date through social media. So I know key parts of the story, especially in chapter one. But I’ll properly read, see if I’ve missed any details. 😊.
Also yes, power is very relatable for that!!

yess you should def properly read it, it's very entertaining.
power our relatable queen fr
Anime: Hellsing or Monster or Baccano! hard to decide.

Manga: Magic Kaito. It is the only manga I own. I am not such an eager and passionate manga reader.

Oh absolutely. My favourite anime is Attack on Titan and always will be. My favourite manga is Black Butler though. The anime totally ruined it in my opinion, with so much unnecessary comedy and stupid additional characters and fanservice- I hated it.

Quick Reply

Latest