The Student Room Group

oxford maths with A*A*A

i rlly wanted to apply for mathematics and statistics at uni but im a bit worried.I meet the entry requirements and im predicted 2a* in maths and fm with an a in physics but my school basically just said there's no point applying unless im being predicted 3a*s, which is really discouraging.
Ive been doing MAT prep as well as increasing the intensity of revision for my other subjects at school. I asked if i could push up my grade and was rejected, is it really not worth applying?
I cant seem to find much statistics on the difference in the number of offers given to students being predicted 3A*s compared to 2 for maths...
Id apply if I were you, If you do well enough in the MAT, who's to say you're not good enough to get onto the course. You're never going to get in if you don't apply so why not give it a go. In my opinion a lot of statistics are skewed due to correlation not causation, people with 3A*s are probably most likely to do well in the MAT and interview, hence being the largest majority of offer holders. people definitely get in with 2 A*s and an A otherwise they wouldn't put it as their minimum requirement, but you will probably have to have a strong performance in the MAT to get an interview. Goodluck
apply!! :smile:

sadly, some schools discourage good candidates from applying to Oxford then their future selves look back and regret not applying
Reply 3
Original post by tweetybiiiiird20
i rlly wanted to apply for mathematics and statistics at uni but im a bit worried.I meet the entry requirements and im predicted 2a* in maths and fm with an a in physics but my school basically just said there's no point applying unless im being predicted 3a*s, which is really discouraging.
Ive been doing MAT prep as well as increasing the intensity of revision for my other subjects at school. I asked if i could push up my grade and was rejected, is it really not worth applying?
I cant seem to find much statistics on the difference in the number of offers given to students being predicted 3A*s compared to 2 for maths...

This is absolute nonsense, and this is coming from an Oxford maths tutor. The important thing at the moment is how you're finding the sample and past MAT tests.
Original post by tweetybiiiiird20

It's true that this course is very competitive, but that doesn't mean that they just use A levels in the admissions process. There's a reason they require the MAT, and there's a reason they go through the effort of inviting people for interview. You don't need 3 A*s and 10 nines to stand at chance; they don't know what they're talking about.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending