The Student Room Group

Should I apply?

I want to apply to oxford for mathematics and statistics. I don't have A level further maths because it was not available there. I'm currently studying A2 and got A* in all of my 3 AS subjects, which were chemistry, physics and maths. Is it worth applying? Also any tips for MAT?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by laamia7
I want to apply to oxford for mathematics and statistics. I don't have A level further maths because it was not available there. I'm currently studying AS got A* in all of my 3 AS subjects, which were chemistry, physics and maths. Is it worth applying? Also any tips for MAT?

Do you mean you're studying AS further maths - or in Year 12. There aren't many students at Oxford without any further mathematics at all - you can apply, but I just want you to be aware of the challenge. Have you asked your school/college about learning further maths through AMSP?

Re applying - the main criterion should be how you're finding the MAT. Also, the deadline for registering for the MAT is the end of this week (Sept 29).
Reply 2
Original post by RichE
Do you mean you're studying AS further maths - or in Year 12. There aren't many students at Oxford without any further mathematics at all - you can apply, but I just want you to be aware of the challenge. Have you asked your school/college about learning further maths through AMSP?

Re applying - the main criterion should be how you're finding the MAT. Also, the deadline for registering for the MAT is the end of this week (Sept 29).

Sorry it was a typo. I don't have as further maths either
Reply 3
Original post by laamia7
I want to apply to oxford for mathematics and statistics. I don't have A level further maths because it was not available there. I'm currently studying A2 and got A* in all of my 3 AS subjects, which were chemistry, physics and maths. Is it worth applying? Also any tips for MAT?

im not a maths applicant so cant help with the mat part but it says on the oxford website that they further maths is not necessary IF your school doesn't offer it. so you should be fine! im not sure if it has to be clarified that your college doesnt offer further maths in your teacher reference or something? you should check with your school!! good luck!
on the Oxford webpage, the undergraduate degree for mathematics and statistics has the entrance requirements:

A*A*A with the A*s in Mathematics and Further Mathematics (if taken). For those for whom A-level Further Mathematics is not available: either A*AAa with A* in Mathematics and a in AS-level Further Mathematics or A*AA with A* in Mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending