The Student Room Group

Official Biomedical Science Applicant Thread 2024 Entry

Are you applying to study Biomedical Science at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...

Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pwca

Specific Course:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

Hi!
I’m looking to study Biomedical sciences, ideally a masters and with an industry placement year too!
At the moment I want to apply to UoBath, UoYork and Keele university as my back up (microbiology and immunology) further than that I’m not sure, I’m going to the Warwick open day and I’ve already been to Sheffield but didn’t fancy it. So if anyone has any similar courses, I’d love to hear about them!
Im taking Biology,Chemistry and Maths A levels and an EPQ.
I don’t feel particularly comfortable sharing my GCSE grades.
I am really excited to chat to everyone on here as I visited last years applicant thread a-lot.
After university I am planning to go into research, but a tiny part of me wants to go into work with children such as a teacher or tutor.
Reply 2
Course + university: Biomed for Oxford and Edinburgh, Biomed + management for imperial, bioprocessing of new medicine for ucl, and biosciences for Durham
A level / IB / Higher grades: got 4As from as level but dunno about my predicted grades ://
GCSE grades: didn’t do the GCSEs (hopefully that wouldn’t be a problem)
Reply 3
Hello! I'm applying for biomedical science w/ a placement year at 3 unis, biology at 1 uni, and physiology at another uni! I'm applying to cardiff, sheffield, warwick, reading, and then im still undecided on my last one (it'll be southampton, bristol, swansea or nottingham lol).

I study biology (predicted an A), chemistry (predicted an A but i asked to change it to a B), and psychology (predicted an A). OH, and i did an EPQ - got an A - in year 12.
My GCSE grades included five 9s, four 8s, and a 7 in art.

Good luck everyone! I hope I'll meet some of you :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ScienceDuck
Hi!
I’m looking to study Biomedical sciences, ideally a masters and with an industry placement year too!
At the moment I want to apply to UoBath, UoYork and Keele university as my back up (microbiology and immunology) further than that I’m not sure, I’m going to the Warwick open day and I’ve already been to Sheffield but didn’t fancy it. So if anyone has any similar courses, I’d love to hear about them!
Im taking Biology,Chemistry and Maths A levels and an EPQ.
I don’t feel particularly comfortable sharing my GCSE grades.
I am really excited to chat to everyone on here as I visited last years applicant thread a-lot.
After university I am planning to go into research, but a tiny part of me wants to go into work with children such as a teacher or tutor.

hey i was just wondering what didn't you like about sheffield?? it's the only uni i haven't seen that i'm considering applying to lol so any honest opinions would be appreciated :smile:

i looked at warwick (loved the uni but didn't like the area as its in the middle of nowhere) and i looked at bath (again lovely uni but i met the man who made the course and he didn't seem very interested, also the labelling of the lecture halls was very confusing - oh and it was very expensive to live there)
Original post by mai0may
hey i was just wondering what didn't you like about sheffield?? it's the only uni i haven't seen that i'm considering applying to lol so any honest opinions would be appreciated :smile:

i looked at warwick (loved the uni but didn't like the area as its in the middle of nowhere) and i looked at bath (again lovely uni but i met the man who made the course and he didn't seem very interested, also the labelling of the lecture halls was very confusing - oh and it was very expensive to live there)

For me all the researchers and lecturers just seemed uninterested in talking about the course. There was one talking about zebra fish that was really enthusiastic but all of the others just seemed like they had been pulled in on their day off and just wanted to go home. On a broader note though, their BioMed course seemed very geared towards graduate medicine. Almost that is was designed for people rejected from med school.
I actually found the opposite with the man at Bath as I chatted to him too but he seemed really passionate.
I am mainly looking at Warwick as it is somewhat close to me (40 min-1hr) so it doesn’t feel like too much of a commitment to visit the open day.
Original post by mai0may
Hello! I'm applying for biomedical science w/ a placement year at 3 unis, biology at 1 uni, and physiology at another uni! I'm applying to cardiff, sheffield, warwick, reading, and then im still undecided on my last one (it'll be southampton, bristol, swansea or nottingham lol).

I study biology (predicted an A), chemistry (predicted an A but i asked to change it to a B), and psychology (predicted an A). OH, and i did an EPQ - got an A - in year 12.
My GCSE grades included five 9s, four 8s, and a 7 in art.

Good luck everyone! I hope I'll meet some of you :smile:

I had looked at Cardiff and booked to go see their open day but the lack of RSB accreditation put me off so I have cancelled. How did you find it?
Also how was Southampton if you’ve been as I was looking at applying their possibly
Reply 7
Original post by ScienceDuck
I had looked at Cardiff and booked to go see their open day but the lack of RSB accreditation put me off so I have cancelled. How did you find it?
Also how was Southampton if you’ve been as I was looking at applying their possibly

I haven't looked at Southampton so I can't comment on that, sorry!

Don't let the lack of accreditation scare you off any university! I used to believe I couldn't apply to any degree without the RBS or IBMS accreditation but I spoke to the lecturers at Bath, Reading, and Cardiff and they said accredited degrees get you up to speed for NHS jobs but non-accredited degrees allow you to go into the cutting-edge research side of biomed - now for me personally I want to be researching medicines not working for the NHS so now I'm avoiding unis that have accreditations!

But Cardiff itself was amazing, a very student-led city and tonnes of facilities. Also, with being in Wales, things like societies, accommodation, and tuition fees are so much cheaper so it definitely has it's perks above other unis. I hope that helps? :smile:
Hey everyone! I have been looking for a thread like this for a while now and have yet to find one so I made one :biggrin:

This is just a place where we can share updates to our applications or send in queries etc.

Questions:
Are you a med or biomed applicant?
When do you plan to submit your application?
Predicted grades (if you like)
Uni choices
Which area of Biomed most interests you?

I’ll go first…
I am a Biomed applicant
I plan to submit my application on the 10th October
Predicted grades: A*AA
Uni choices: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Exeter
I am most interested in Neuroscience and disease
(edited 6 months ago)
boost this please!
Original post by Pwca

Specific Course:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

Hi everyone! I’ve been looking for a Biomed 2024 thread for ages!

Course: Biomedical Sciences (name varies depending on course)
Universities: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, KCL, Exeter
GCSE: 70% A*
Question: has anyone submitted their application yet?
hi! I’m a biomed applicant, and i’ve already submitted my application. i got predicted 3A*s, and i'm applying to oxford, bristol, bath, warwick and ucl. i’m most interested in pathology and genetics
does anyone know for biomed at kings when they normally first start to send offers out please?
Original post by 17277282kiosk

im a med applicant but I submitted my 5th choice as biomed at kinsg. Does anyone know by any chance when they first start to send offers out for this please?
Original post by HastyJaguar
does anyone know for biomed at kings when they normally first start to send offers out please?

my friend who applied last ucas cycle got it in april
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by HastyJaguar
im a med applicant but I submitted my 5th choice as biomed at kinsg. Does anyone know by any chance when they first start to send offers out for this please?

not sure about biomed but my friend got a kings psychology offer in april 2023
Reply 16
Hi there,
Does anyone know much about the best Biomed 'style' degree at Leicester for a med applicant as a 5th choice? I say 'style' as i've realised Leicester doesn't have a specific Biomedical Science degree. I am stuck between on of the 4 Medical Bioscience degrees (probably Medical Physiology) or their Clinical Sciences BSc. I've seen the Clinical Sciences degree seems more geared to a med applicant but still was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience? Also if anyone has any alternative recommendations for different unis biomed degrees that are good for a med applicant 5th choice? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by a.aleesha
Hi there,
Does anyone know much about the best Biomed 'style' degree at Leicester for a med applicant as a 5th choice? I say 'style' as i've realised Leicester doesn't have a specific Biomedical Science degree. I am stuck between on of the 4 Medical Bioscience degrees (probably Medical Physiology) or their Clinical Sciences BSc. I've seen the Clinical Sciences degree seems more geared to a med applicant but still was wondering if anyone has any advice or experience? Also if anyone has any alternative recommendations for different unis biomed degrees that are good for a med applicant 5th choice? Thank you! :smile:

not sure about leicester but at my school kings is quite a popular 5th choice
Reply 18
Original post by 17277282kiosk

I submitted mine to the centre last Thursday :smile:
Hello!
Biomed applicant here (why are there so few of us?!).
Submitted my UCAS application yesterday, with 4 A* predicted (Chem, Bio, Physics, Maths)
12 * 9s at GCSE and an AS A.
No EPQ but I've done independent research and really enjoy it, so I've tried to choose research-oriented unis.
I'm applying to Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh and I've already heard back from Leeds (applied for Nat Sci, not Biomed).
I'm also going to apply to Imperial, but prefer the Molecular Engineering course to Medical Biosciences tbh. Does anyone know how much they consider the PS in the selection process (as my PS is obvs very biomed focussed :/ )
I love anything neuroscience/pathology, computational bits, and medical physics!
And best of luck to anyone doing BMAT prep right now, it's tough but fingers crossed it'll be worth it
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending